"Jumpy/Jiggly" threads/text

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is your display resolution?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

My laptop has almost the same configuration, Win 7, IE 9.08.112, except it's 32 bit and it doesn't "jiggle" So it may be a plug-in conflict on yours.

When I view the thread mentioned above, the Google+ link is on the same line. (bad thread) But it doesn't jiggle.
Viewing the thread above it - "Either I have a leak..." I do see Google+ 1/2 line down but it doesn't "jiggle" either. (good thread)

I don't use IE on that machine so I'm running about as generic a "factory" version as possible. The only plug-ins installed are the Adobe PDF helper and the Skype plug-in. Maybe try disabling/re-enabling plug-ins to see if one is the problem.

Is your Java helper up to date? Mine is 6.0.290.11

This post explains how to disable plugins: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/si...ecover-webpage-lockup-issues.html#post6146698

---

Just to comment on the "Factory version" - This is where the "BLOATWARE" comes into play. Did the computer come with McAfee? That's bloatware (free software that comes bundled with your computer). Did the "factory version" come with other addons to "help enhance your user experience"?? That is bloatware. Disabling all of that may resolve your issue.

---

Also - have you tried using the 32 bit version of internet explorer? Does the same thing happen with that?

Last edited:
Quite obviously MS doesn't know how to make a browser since IE has an issue with SB!

Anyway:

resolution -- 1366 x 768

I.E. plugins -- all disabled (no change, Flash and Bing bar re-enabled now)

BUT, I did discover that if I "right click" anywhere on a jiggly screen it stops jiggling. As soon as the right click menu is removed, the jiggling starts again. And yes, this does appear to happen ONLY on the threads with the Google and FB links on the same line.

Anyone, what share of the browser market is still I.E.?

---------- Post added April 29th, 2012 at 01:05 PM ----------

Howard, I gave you some bad info regarding my version of I.E. -- I've been using the 32 bit version and just tried the 64 bit one -- same issue.

Quite obviously MS doesn't know how to make a browser since IE has an issue with SB!

Actually - that would be an invalid assumption. The problem isn't ALL people with internet explorer, since I tried it with both IE9 64bit and 32 bit, and found no error. Also on Windows 7 professional, and Win 7 home 64x. The problem is your browser, on YOUR computer. I didn't declare IE as crap, I'm just trying to analyze the issue here and see if in fact IE is the cause.

Anyone, what share of the browser market is still I.E.?

IE users make up 29% of SB users. Of that percentage, 49% of those IE users use IE9.x. This translates into approximately 3500 people a day.

Unfortunately, since you're unwilling to try my other ideas to try to isolate the issue, there's nothing more I can do for you here. Sorry.

What other ideas Howard? How does switching browsers solve the problem of that browser? You appeared to
disregard the info re the rt click. Also, s others havevwritten, it is not just my browser on my machine.

We spent some time playing with our two computers, and figured out how to recreate the problem. On my machine, with IE, threads didn't "jiggle" -- but when we hit Control + to increase the print size -- voila! The page rearranged itself so that our screens looked identical, and the thread began to wiggle.

I am not sure about this but I already try it... scan your computer then use Firefox then lower your resolution restart your computer. I just did and it works for me I think it's the browser and the resolution of your computer.

While it may be a browser/resolution/whatever issue, it is replicated through change in the font size. With my older eyes, I like to have a larger font (don't know how to identify what size it really is -- it is "one up" from the default in Windows). On some threads, the Google +1 icon can't handle the change in font size and thus causes the "jumping."

SB staff has obviously decided this is not an issue related to SB or anything. Why the Google +1 icon is subject to this, I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom