June Honeymoon in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hotels and dive shops don't have the cost swings that airfare does.

Welcome to the new world order as it applies to airfare. I would consider flying an airline that also has flights into Cancun should a Cozumel flight be canceled. If you have to make a stop in the US, I like to plan 2.5 hours or more coming back to account for immigration/customs processing. I prefer more time than too little. I usually can find a brisket place to eat before the second leg home.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know an instructor that lives in Columbus. He does his classes at Franklin High School, and the pool sessions are in the Franklin pool. I did my classes with him and I also know some others that could give reviews if you are interested. PM me if you want his information.
Welcome to SCUBA in Central Indiana.
Pat

Also did anyone mention: Matrix - ITA Software its really good for checking flights. Look like not much difference in price for your dates to go into Coz.
That's awesome! I don't think it'll help me for this trip but I'm sure it'll come in handy for future trips.

Also, my dates have changed due to vacation time at work. July 4 - 10 now. I don't think that'll make a difference, except maybe cheaper airfare (midweek vs weekend).

Small update. Just to keep a log of my planning.

I can't get a direct flight to CZM or CUN in my price range from the 3 major airports around me. I have a tentative itinerary setup from Indy to CZM with a connection in Atlanta. 3 hour layover on the return trip. I've never dealt with Atlanta customs, but if its anything like the rest of the airport, we'll probably miss our connection.

I've sent an email to the Palace. Asking for some more info specific to my plans. I also sent an email to Aldora and BlueXT.

Do either of them let you try out equipment? It'd be nice to try out a variety of regs and BC's before buying them.

I will update this thread as plans progress. Maybe it will help somebody in the future.

Don't buy equipment in Cozumel. Buy before you go or when you come back.

Most ops use equipment like sherwood/oceanic etc for rentals. I don't think I have heard of anyone using high end gear like Scuba Pro or Aqua Lung for rentals.....

I've never dealt with Atlanta customs, but if its anything like the rest of the airport, we'll probably miss our connection.

Do either of them let you try out equipment? It'd be nice to try out a variety of regs and BC's before buying them.

It's been awhile since I've cleared customs in Atlanta but they were no worst than anywhere else. Since you are coming home if you miss your flight it's not like you are missing part of your vacation.

As for equipment, if you are thinking of buying check out your LDS for a starter or get wet package. I know but Aqua Lung and Oceanic both have a package (BCD, reg, octo, computer) for $800-1000. I almost got the Oceanic package but decided to make a few more dives first. Plus my Cozumel airfare was way over budget.

Why I hate about All-Inclusives - you pay for the arrival day, and the departure day.

Solution, travel an extra day or 2, before & after, so that you arrive early (am) and at least benefit from a nearly full-day, 2 meals and resort amenities.

Going to, stay overnight at a hotel/inn that's the closest to the last stop in a multi-stop trip.
Going back, leave late (after dinner and sunset), stay overnight at a hotel/inn that's on the airport premises, and be on the first plane out the next morning.

So a 7-day becomes a 9-day trip. You'll get full use of you 7-day stay, and be better rested.

I try to "tie-in" the going-to trip with an overnight in a city that I haven't been to, and "visit" that city a bit.
Example - going to Grand Cayman from Montreal, staying overnight at Washington DC Dulles airport, will be on a 7am plane out to GC, arriving in GC at 11am.
So flying to Washington DC on an 10am flight the day before, be there at 12pm, and will "visit" DC.

In your case, travel to Atlanta a day earlier, and get an early departure from Atlanta. Breaking up the trip in two also makes for less stress, less travel aches.

Yes definately support your local LDS - being a life support device, you will want to get it serviced regularly from someone you trust. A good reg set can be a lifetime investment.....

Why I hate about All-Inclusives - you pay for the arrival day, and the departure day.

Solution, travel an extra day or 2, before & after, so that you arrive early (am) and at least benefit from a nearly full-day, 2 meals and resort amenities.

Going to, stay overnight at a hotel/inn that's the closest to the last stop in a multi-stop trip.
Going back, leave late (after dinner and sunset), stay overnight at a hotel/inn that's on the airport premises, and be on the first plane out the next morning.

So a 7-day becomes a 9-day trip. You'll get full use of you 7-day stay, and be better rested.

I try to "tie-in" the going-to trip with an overnight in a city that I haven't been to, and "visit" that city a bit.
Example - going to Grand Cayman from Montreal, staying overnight at Washington DC Dulles airport, will be on a 7am plane out to GC, arriving in GC at 11am.
So flying to Washington DC on an 10am flight the day before, be there at 12pm, and will "visit" DC.

In your case, travel to Atlanta a day earlier, and get an early departure from Atlanta. Breaking up the trip in two also makes for less stress, less travel aches.
That'd be nice, but I'm trying to stay as close to $3000 as possible. My vacation time doesn't cover OT, so I'm essentially losing 20% of my regular paycheck with my existing dates (which are subject to change). Normally not a huge deal, but we're closing on a house a week after we get home. Plus misc travel expenses.
Current itinerary puts us in Coz before 2pm on the 4th, and departing at 2pm on the 10th. I don't think the first day will be a waste. We can relax in the evening, familiarize ourselves with what's available. Go home day is always a waste. I'm looking forward to 5.5 days in paradise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom