June Honeymoon in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I try to book with the two weekends, so if "arrival" is Saturday, you can "leave" Friday right after work, get closer, so you have an early departure & arrival on Saturday.
You then get to benefit to the max of the all-inclusive all day the following Saturday, taxi to a hotel close to the airport, then leave sometime on Sunday morning. Eight days later.

Travel a few more times, you'll get the hang of it. :wink: 10 days including travel time is "perfect" to fully enjoy someplace 7-8 days instead of 5.5, with barely a 15% total cost increase. Sometimes *cheaper* because of the reduced air plane ticket costs.
(My next trip to Cayman Islands, airfare dropped to 640$ per instead of 980$)

I checked the 1500$ credit - you can use for tours & various options like massage and beach rentals. That's one heck-of-a-lot of massages, and just a few tours.
Why should the restaurants inside an all-inclusive charge money???
I stayed at Gran Bahia Principe in Alkumal, and the restaurants were free, one per day. They are such a hassle, having to reserve, that you end up at the buffet all the time.

IOW, I checked it out, and that 1500$ credit seems to be misleading. Report back on how you used it, I have a feeling you'll not be using it all up.
Again IOW, perhaps a cheaper resort w/o the credit might be cheaper overall. Lots of reviews, good & not-so-good here on Scuba Board.

If it were me, I'd use the same all-inclusive resort that Scuba Board Invade Cozumel are using, seems to be *very* nice. I'm considering even hooking up part of the honeymoon with Invade 2013 or 2014.

Nothing like a bunch of divers crashing your party COZ you invited them (pun intended...)

My LDS is primarily a scuba pro shop. I didn't see any other regs available in shop. I dont remember about the rest of the equipment. I was hoping to be able to try out a variety of brands before deciding on one.
Is it rude to test different equipment from a shop you're vacationing with? I understand a shop won't typically have top of the line equipment for Discover Scuba folks, but what about certified divers on vacation wanting to try out new gear. I wouldn't expect (or want) them to set up a reg at my request. But if they have one ready to go what's the difference between renting a aqualung, atomic, scubapro, etc... (maybe rental price)?
What about BCD's?
It's not life support, but it's critical for dive comfort. Obviously if they loan me a new one and I don't like it, they can't sell it new anymore. But again, if they have mid or top shelf stuff for certified divers wanting to experiment....

I ask b/c I won't have the cash to buy a reg or BCD while we're there (buying a house when we get home). I don't know the etiquette for this stuff, I don't want to be rude. I'm just trying to take every opportunity to try something new.

I'd call Cristi and discuss your diving (Blue XT Sea). She goes above and beyond. Tell her of you experience. There are not high end gear rentals, but tell her of any special requirements (size 17 shoes, etc.). Take a day or two in-between dive days. That gives you time to rejuvenate. Diving can take its toll especially on new divers.

Avoid the bag drag if at all possible from Cancun to Coz. It makes a long trip longer. I'm not sure it saves much either. Often Hotel and Airfare can be combined. Look into it as you are staying at a big hotel. Customs arriving in Coz can take a bit. Coming back is generally quick once you get the bags checked. Just make sure your passport is in order.

My LDS is primarily a scuba pro shop. I didn't see any other regs available in shop. I dont remember about the rest of the equipment. I was hoping to be able to try out a variety of brands before deciding on one.
Is it rude to test different equipment from a shop you're vacationing with? I understand a shop won't typically have top of the line equipment for Discover Scuba folks, but what about certified divers on vacation wanting to try out new gear. I wouldn't expect (or want) them to set up a reg at my request. But if they have one ready to go what's the difference between renting a aqualung, atomic, scubapro, etc... (maybe rental price)?
What about BCD's?
It's not life support, but it's critical for dive comfort. Obviously if they loan me a new one and I don't like it, they can't sell it new anymore. But again, if they have mid or top shelf stuff for certified divers wanting to experiment....

I ask b/c I won't have the cash to buy a reg or BCD while we're there (buying a house when we get home). I don't know the etiquette for this stuff, I don't want to be rude. I'm just trying to take every opportunity to try something new.

Just for frame of reference, when we all here say "dive shop", keep in mind we are using it figuritively speaking. Only a FEW of the largest ops on the island have true dive shops with gear for sale - Aqua World is one that comes to mind. Most other ops, the vast majority do not even have store fronts or offices that are readily accesible. If the do, they generally don't sell gear. Most shop/ops will have 1 or 2 generic lines they use for rentals, and the gear is usually mid line to lower end (even the lowest end reg now a days is pretty damned good) and they generally don't use multiple brands as that is a parts nightmare.

I see lots of oceanic, sherwood, mares gear as it is generally reliable, decently made and affordable for the op/shops to use as beater - errrr rental gear.

I would only look into buying gear if you plan on doing this year in and year out. It isn't worth it otherwise.

As to differences in regs and BCs......all the gear is about the same to someone new like yourself. Everyones mid level reg will breath the same, and so will the high ends - say a Scuba Pro S600 vs an Aqualung Legend - both amazing, high end and the casual diver probably cant tell the difference in the 2. After making a few hundred dives though, or diving multiple times a year, you would most likely want/need something with an adjustable break and flow rates etc.

So yeah.....I honestly wouldn't worry about buying anything now. Go to Coz, stay at the Palace, use BXTSEA or Aldora (both will have good well maintained rental gear - ie: it wont ruin your trip like I have seen with bad rental gear) and just enjoy it! :) Especially with buying a house when you get back.....if you get hooked after your trip, then take the time to get a good set of gear!

Enjoy!

Reactions: MMM
I don't know the etiquette for this stuff, I don't want to be rude. I'm just trying to take every opportunity to try something new.

Forget about trying different manufactures while in Coz. Maybe a couple shops have gear for sale but rental equipment is like renting bowling shoes. You will get functional stuff, but likely not your choice of brands or colors and rarely new. You may be lucky to get year old stuff. FL is a great place to buy equipment, Coz not so much.

You can try stuff in the states. That is likely your best bet. Here you can buy from online merchants like Scubatoys or buy locally. But if your not looking to buy don't bother.

If you book on Orbitz it is $2938 for 2 including air for July 4-10 at the Cozumel Palace Then put in the Orbitz coupon code and it is $2838

IOW, I checked it out, and that 1500$ credit seems to be misleading. Report back on how you used it, I have a feeling you'll not be using it all up.
Again IOW, perhaps a cheaper resort w/o the credit might be cheaper overall. Lots of reviews, good & not-so-good here on Scuba Board.
In the terms and conditions .pdf, it says you can use it for room upgrades. 6 night upgrade to an ocean view is roughly $700. That's the big thing for me.

If you book on Orbitz it is $2938 for 2 including air for July 4-10 at the Cozumel Palace Then put in the Orbitz coupon code and it is $2838
What orbitz coupon? I'll have to look into this, and how sites like these effect the $1500 credit. It may make me ineligible.

I don't have a whole lot if time to research this stuff at home. The fiance doesn't know I'm planning a honeymoon at all. Living in a small apartment doesn't get me much privacy to go behind her back.

I stayed in an oceanview room at the palace for my honeymoon. Definitely worth the upgrade!
The shop that I did my OW with in Indy sells a few different brands. I used a couple different brands during my training. Each class I would request a different bc, reg. That way I had tried a few different brands/models before I bought my own equipment.

At the end of the booking on Orbitz, put in TRAVEL100 and you get $100 off. Orbitz offers the $1500 credit at Cozumel Palace also. I believe you can speak directlly with an Orbitz agent to clarify any of your questions. Booking air and hotel together is the most economical way to book.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom