Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By the way, Kyalami is going out tomorrow!
The crew of Kyalami are friends of ours and we dive many of the same dive sites. Like @Divin'Papaw & @CosbySweater have mentioned many times, Jupiter's inlet is very narrow with a sandbar underwater that makes it difficult. Sunday still has the nasty weather system and below you can see they are calling for 8 footers. 8's might be do able if the wind was straight out of the west at a 290 degree angle, but Sunday's wind will be at an angle of 350 degrees and only the surfer's love that setup. I hope NOAA and me are wrong, but please do consider a backup plan like visiting the manatee lagoon about 15minutes south and it's free. Or climb the Jupiter lighthouse / dive the BHB bridge.

Wave4-Jup.jpg

I dived the BHB today. Pretty nice site, I couldn't get a guide, but I buddied up with a couple of guys I met there. We probably didn't go to the best spots, but we still saw a spotted eagle ray and plenty of fish, including some great barracuda that are huge.

By the way, Kyalami is going out tomorrow!
Let us know how you do, looks tricky.

Even though some of the boats are technically going out tomorrow, I’m not biting. I’m planning to dive the bridge again tomorrow. I am hoping to get offshore on Monday.

Kyalami cancelled today's dive for safety, so hopefully tomorrow!

I’m honestly not too surprised. I just went out to the beach on Singer Island to watch the sunrise, and there’s some pretty sizable swells still rolling in. You can see not too far out on the horizon, sea is really quite rough. I thought to myself that I certainly was glad I wasn’t going out today! I think tomorrow should be a good bit improved. I’m hoping to get off shore in Palm Beach tomorrow. Currently, the charter I have booked is a go.

All the Jupiter Charters (JDC,DivOcean,Kyalami,Emerald, & more) are running out the inlet this morning(Mon 16th). It's 6's & rollie,,,,just waiting on viz reports out deep cause inshore is gonna be toast.

Jup-16Jan.jpg

I was on the Kyalami this morning and we were getting ready to go out as the captain got news from another dive boat that the visibility was zero, so they cancelled (which I appreciated). I have really not been lucky on this trip. Going to Fort Lauderdale now.

.. visibility was zero.....
I'm especially sorry cause you traveled so far for your vacation. And 'at-the-dock' cancels are the worst, but they made the right call. That sucks....

I'm especially sorry cause you traveled so far for your vacation. And 'at-the-dock' cancels are the worst, but they made the right call. That sucks....
The worst are the cancellations after you are already out on the boat, set up, and dressed. This has happened to me just 3 times with JDC out of Jupiter since 2009. Once, could not get out of the inlet (Capt Tim), once in big, building seas with a group of students and other inexperienced divers on the boat (Capt Brian), and once due to zero visibility. Unfortunately, we discovered the zero vis when we jumped on our 1st dive.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom