Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove on a private boat out of Jupiter today. Seas were pretty flat. We were hunting and went out to around 100ft on the first dive. Water temp was 83-84, there was a thermocline at 77ft, dropping the temp to upper 70's, vis was at least 60ft, and the north current was mild. Towards the end of the dive, the temps were swirling at depth between the temps above and below the thermocline.

2nd dive we went a little north. Max depth was 95ft. Vis was a little better, the thermocline was a little colder, and the current was a little stronger.

3rd dive we dropped max depth 65ft. It was a warm dive on a hot day. I actually enjoyed the thermocline on the previous dives. Current was the strongest on this dive. I had to crawl to a hole to get a lobster, I couldn't swim to it without significant effort. Vis dropped on this dive to about 40ft. We found a lot of large lionfish on this dive. One diver who left his zookeeper behind so he could focus on spearfishing, said he found 15 under a ledge at the end of his dive. I bagged 2 large ones, and another diver got a large one.

Between 4 divers, we caught 20 lobsters and a dozen lionfish.

Between 4 divers, we caught 20 lobsters and a dozen lionfish.
Dang,,That's a great day. I've been traveling and missed all the good flat water. Thanks for the conditions report !!

Dang,,That's a great day. I've been traveling and missed all the good flat water. Thanks for the conditions report !!
The drama on these boats seems almost to much to bear.

Crazy today, first dive the floatline is laying on the reef, 73 degree water on the bottom, 60 ft vis. By end of day current is absolutely screaming, vis of 100 ft plus, cool water is pretty much blown away and it was
futile trying to dive and pull a float when the surface is moving well over 4 kts.

Today we started with mild current in west palm in 120 ft. Then next dive there was so little current I had to use a compass see which way north was, and it was cool on the bottom. By the end of the day in 100 feet, the current was running maybe 1 kt north and the thermo was gone. I honestly don't know what good condition reports are, when the conditions change drastically in a few hours or less.

BTW, the previous report was not an exaggeration. I have seen currents over 4.7 kts in 180 ft in west palm, but never over 4 kts on the reef, not that I recall anyway.

.. I honestly don't know what good condition reports are, when the conditions change drastically in a few hours or less.
I love all conditions reports. I think alot of divers just look/read one web page and make an instant decision (Underwater or topside waves). I read a ton of reports and try to match those patterns that have happened in previous years and then guess whether it's a " Go<>NoGo ". I look at 4 different topside forecasts and try to look for a slight agreement. I also look at the gulfside & keys viz reports because that garbage or blue water typically follows the florida loop currents. Even the BHB reports are a piece of the puzzle because that high tide brings in ocean water.

There is no single web page that is even half correct on forecasts all the time........but reading a handful of similar daily reports that say screaming current with good viz often results in "Let's Go!!"

PS> I'm a fast currents junkie...I love a mask shaking, reg freeflow, rock climbing current. Others say forget it and get out.

PS> I'm a fast currents junkie...I love a mask shaking, reg freeflow, rock climbing current. Others say forget it and get out.

They're a blast! As long as you don't have to try and stay in place. On a true sight-seeing drift dive, those ripping currents can just be a ton of fun. Just let yourself relax and enjoy the ride. As long as you're not towing a flag, they can be awesome. The one thing that can change the equation is towing a flag with the current on the surface being significantly different than the current at depth.

Thanks for these great reports. In my experience, drift dives are sort of neglected as part of many dive operations, but one of my favorite and most memorable dives of all times was a drift dive off West Palm. That said, 4+ kts seems a little brisk. I like to have time to at least glance at the sights as they whisk by (or more properly, as I whisk by them!).
🐸

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom