Jupiter fatality - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Rescued by Sea Tow...?

Diver dies after rescue 4 miles off Jupiter coast
JUPITER, Fla. - UPDATE: PBSO says the diver did not survive their injuries.

--------------

ORIGINAL STORY:

The Jupiter Police Department says a diver was pulled from the water Thanksgiving morning 4 miles off the coast, south of the Jupiter Inlet.

At about 9:53 a.m., police said they were notified by the Coast Guard of a diver in distress at the location.

Three members of the Jupiter Police Department used a marine unit vessel and responded to the area to provide assistance.

When they arrived, officers learned the unresponsive diver had been pulled from the water by a Sea Tow employee.

Police said the officers began lifesaving efforts while aboard the Sea Tow vessel.

The diver was transported to Dubois Park where Palm Beach County Fire Rescue took the diver to St. Mary’s Medical Center in critical condition.

Police said the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission was contacted and responded regarding the incident.

RIP - Thoughts with the family! Awful to hear, especially on a holiday.

Any more info on this? 4 miles out from Jupiter inlet, I'm assuming this was deeper than normal recreational? Prob 160-230 fsw out there?

There's a discussion regarding this going on in the Florida regional forum, although so far not many details. I know a little from secondhand accounts, but would rather wait to get a more complete picture. Spearboard had more details but the thread was closed down.

What is the significance that the FL Fish and Wildlife was contacted and responded? Was there some kind of animal involved or is the contact routine?

I saw one interesting claim in this one: Diver dies in water off coast near Jupiter
Excerpting:
An investigation showed the diver had gotten sick and began to struggle once he entered the water.
So the next question in my mind: Was the diver's tank secured immediately so a gas sample can be sent to a lab? Too often suspected tanks are just drained, which destroys evidence.

What is the significance that the FL Fish and Wildlife was contacted and responded? Was there some kind of animal involved or is the contact routine?
I suppose that in such an emergency, any agency with a boat in the area is contacted.

I saw one interesting claim in this one: Diver dies in water off coast near Jupiter
Excerpting:
So the next question in my mind: Was the diver's tank secured immediately so a gas sample can be sent to a lab? Too often suspected tanks are just drained, which destroys evidence.

I suppose that in such an emergency, any agency with a boat in the area is contacted.

The accounts I've heard indicate the charter called for assistance in recovering the diver, which is why a Sea Tow boat was involved. FWC is tasked with boating safety as well as wildlife management, so they would respond. The need for assistance could have been due to attending other divers in the water (offshore Jupiter is drift diving; depending on the day you might have a 4-knot current running). I did hear that the seas were running at 5-8 ft which would have been an impediment to recovering an unresponsive diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom