Jupiter or Palm Beach for Goliath Groupers in Sept

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uzun

Registered
Reaction score
Do the dive sites around the Palm Beach area have decent aggregations of Goliath Groupers in Sept, or are the better aggregations generally found up in Jupiter? I'm planning a trip to the area and want to maximize my chances to see impressive aggregations of the Groupers.

-Roger Uzun
San Diego, CA

I agree with djtimmy: both have good aggregations: I've seen huge numbers on the Zion train wrecks and MG 111 (Jupiter) and on the Mizpah (WPB). I dive in Jupiter more often than WPB, but I'd say I tend to see more GG's on the reefs in Jupiter (such as the site known as Tunnels) than I do on WPB reefs. But that could be just luck of the draw.

Agree with Sportxlh... I always see Goliath's on tunnels and the wreck trek out of Jupiter. The wrecks seem to be where it's at. Castor and MG 111 are good.

[video=vimeo;74078217]http://vimeo.com/74078217[/video]

..... I'm planning a trip to the area and want to maximize my chances......

Like others said, you'll see Goliaths no matter what. We dive with some of the scientists and researchers when they come to do projects (But never C&K). We see the peak numbers occur the morning after the New and Full moon lunar phases. Now be forewarned there are many other factors that influence the gathering census like current, upwhellings, wind direction and don't forget its "Named Storm Season" (divers don't use that other word).

So for 2014 right after the new moon would be the morning of Aug 26 and for Full moon it would be the morning of Sept 10th. Now that the secret peak times is out, you should call your favorite boat early to reserve space cause they do sell out once all the cool pictures start being posted. Also it's best to be AOW, EAN and have a magnetic attraction to steel tanks for longer bottom times. If you dive an RB, you will have the ultimate close one on one photo Op's. The most I've ever seen was in 140 deep outside of Jupiter's Hole-In-The-Wall and there were 300 crowded up in a swift current, hugging the bottom and looked like a Volkswagen Beetle dealership lot. One of my top 10 best dives ever. But they will huddle up at several well known spots too for a photo session. It's a very unique and exciting dive event every year and you are very smart to start planning early !!

IMG_0062_1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0062_1.jpg
    IMG_0062_1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 120
Agree with Sportxlh... I always see Goliath's on tunnels and the wreck trek out of Jupiter. The wrecks seem to be where it's at. Castor and MG 111 are good.

It's a testament to a video that causes you to unconsciously clear your ears while watching it :)

nothing like coming around the bridge peeking in a window and seeing the bridge packed with groupers.

i gotta get wet. . .

castor would be a definite grouper dive...

Are there any boats/shops that rent rebreather bottles, I do plan on bringing my Poseidon rebreather. I don't want to bring my bottles though if I don't have to.

sounds like I should do 2 days in Jupiter and maybe 2 more in west palm area.

roger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom