Jupiter Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both groups were lost on the same day and on the same dive, right? If so, we're talking about the same thing. All lost divers where from the same dive on the same day. They were picked up by two different boats, maybe even in different locations, but all divers came from the same dive on the same day. Am I missing something?
3 separate incidents on different days from what I read - but really irrelevant to your video, so not sure why they were even brought up in this thread?

3 separate incidents on different days from what I read - but really irrelevant to your video, so not sure why they were even brought up in this thread?
As I said I welcome the discussion. My older brother took me on these dives without me knowing much at all that there was going to be chumming. There were many surprises for me. Coming from Canada, I usually don't dive full length suits in Florida. Not even on deep tech wreck dives. But this time he was insistent for protection -- it just wasn't for exposure protection. It was rather for minimizing exposed flesh that might entice sharks to take a nibble at.

On the dive I was surprised to see these supposedly experienced divers kneeling on the sand. It quickly became apparent that the kneeling was required for proper leverage to push off a shark. After some soul searching I concluded that there was a net positive impact to sharks with these activities. I welcome the opinions and observations from other divers in scubaboard.

I tried to compile discussions about the controversy in my write up -
Emerald Charters Trip Report 2017 - Emerald Dive Charters Trip Report

I'm surprised your brother took you out without you knowing what was going to happen. As much as I enjoyed the experience and treasure the memories, I wouldn't want it to take me by surprise. I appreciated trip reports by others that helped me know what to expect.

Richard.

I tried to compile discussions about the controversy in my write up -
Emerald Charters Trip Report 2017 - Emerald Dive Charters Trip Report

I'm surprised your brother took you out without you knowing what was going to happen. As much as I enjoyed the experience and treasure the memories, I wouldn't want it to take me by surprise. I appreciated trip reports by others that helped me know what to expect.

Richard.
Wow, Richard, you are thorough in your reports. More than my brother's fault it was more me and my hubris at fault for being uninformed. I did nowhere near the research that you did for shark diving. To me it was just going to be a first time ever diving with my brother that I hadn't seen in a few years. The dive in itself didn't matter much. In my hubris I was thinking I could handle anything Florida could throw at me. I've done hot dropped 200ft dives of Pompano. I have more experience and training than my brother, how hard can it be to go on a 80 something ft dive that he is planning for us. In my hubris, I neglected to get too involved in the planning, being dismissive to what my brother was telling me. So the fault is on me, not him.

Back
Top Bottom