Jupiter Trip Report 08/22/14 GGs, Tutles and Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSharkk

Contributor
Reaction score
www.jupiterdivecenter

Animals of note:

100 + goliath groupers = 35 at Tunnels and < 75 at the MG 111
2 sandbar sharks
1 shark not at a good angle to ID
4 caribbean reef sharks
2 loggerhead sea turtles
1 hawksbill sea turtle
2 southern stingrays

Deep Ledge
Tunnels
MG 111

1 foot seas
30 foot vertical visibility
Mild to nil north current
68 to 70 F bottom temp – brisk, rubber up accordingly

Check in = Phil
Captain = Mike
Dive guide = Sandy
Deckhand = Brooke

Another day of splendid diving during the GG season. If you want to dive the time is now.

68 to 70 F bottom temp &#8211; brisk, rubber up accordingly

Ahhhhhhhhh, nope, nope, we ain't want'n none of that...I'm hoping to come down 2'nd week of September. Kindly arrange to have these cold upwellings gone! My plan was for upper 70's/lower 80's water even at depth...

How close do some of these goliaths let you get for photos?

Richard.

Hi Rich,

Bring your exposure protection. I'm lucky, I have a local house and can take whatever is needed. I have a full 3, full 5, 5/3 hooded vest, all kinds of booties, gloves, hoods and beanies. My full 3 and 5 and hooded vest make up my usual. You will get very close to the GG, dont worry about that. Maybe you want to try Boynton Beach for a few of your dives, may be warmer? The Castor is a preeminent GG aggregation area.

Good diving, Craig

Will be down in a week for labor day weekend. Hope they are still there in the 100s. Was not expecting to bring my 5mm though. Anybody think the water will be getting any warmer any time soon?

Wow...I was planning on a few tanks with JDC mid week after Labor Day, but sounds a wee bit nipple...

Come on guys, tomorrow it could 83 F with 100 ft. + vis. and a mild north current with scads of randy GGs . :wink: Its Palm Beach County, Florida. Anything can happen and anything can show up. At some places in the world the diving is a roll of the dice, in Palm Beach County you ARE the dice. Cheers, Jeff

P.S. I dive with a 3mm jumpsuit over a hooded chicken vest constructed of G231N USA sourced Rubatex neoprene Official Manufacturer of Rubatex&shy;® | Cellular Rubber made by KME wetsuits KME Diving Suits KME is a dry suit manufacturer but they can get you a custom wet suit made. My present suit was purchased in April 2007! It has a few hundred dives on it now and I just did my first minor repair on it today. This is by far the best wet suit I have ever owned; warm even after many compressions to 90 ft. or more, it is also durable and reliable.

I tried over the weekend with Jupiter dive center. They didn't take us to see much of anything. My dive comphter said 68. See if you can call around before you book. I was super disappointed. Not jdc fault but if i had known i would have canceled for sure..

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added August 25th, 2014 at 10:50 AM ----------

Also i have tried twice over the past two years to see this Goliath aggregation. Been weathered or vized out.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom