just a nice stroll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love that picture. Absolutely love it. You know how much I would pay to be taking that picture. Of course, in this particular case I would be in a cage but still. I would LOVE to see that up close. One day, one day.

*waits patiently*

:)

or the mechanical wonder at sea world?

Hallmac

Not me. I want to dive with a great white more than anything in the ocean. Close second is the whale shark. I LOVE sharks and can't wait to do a great white dive. :)

Lol...

You'll never see THAT underwater.

The eye socket structure is a dead giveaway.

Looks to me to be done by movie/theme park makers... To look more "human" and more scary.

Real sharks don't have eyebrows. :D

Great picture, though... Would go well with a story that starts off with, "So there I was, mindin' my own business, when I felt this presence..."

There's other dead giveaways, too... Sharks don't have "white" in their eyes... They either have coal black eyes (in the case of the Great White, which this most closely resembles) or slitted pupils, like a cat's. Also, their teeth generally aren't pretty, white, and shiny... Not to mention evenly spaced. :D Shark dentist, anyone? Lol...

SeaJay, you prompted me to look up shark eyes and I learned some interesting things. A shark's eye "has a cornea, iris, pupil, lens and retina." Also, "some species, like the great white, have an additional membrane, called a nictitating membrane, which protects the eye from being injured by thrashing prey while the shark is feeding." So unlike the photo here, when a white shark opens its mouth, the protective membrane will cover the eye creating the sort of eye-rolling-back-in-its-head effect.

I wanna see a great white too!

I forgot about the membrane... See, as many times as I've swum with sharks, I've never been on the recieving end of a bite... So I forgot about the membrane.

I know the great white's got the membrane... (Which I believe this mockup is supposed to be.) And I believe that many reef sharks (whitetip, blacktip, etc.) have them as well. (I've seen them feed, but can't remember if they had the membrane or not.) I don't know about tigers, but I don't recall ever seeing a bull cover his eyes.

Nurses have the slitted eyes... They're freaky looking up close. :) And no, they don't have the membrane either.

Rays and skates aren't that far in genus from the sharks, either. It's freaky to look into a stingray's eyes. Yeesh. :)

...But for the life of me, I can't recall ever seeing any shark with white in it's eyes... And definitely not an "elliptical" shape to the eye opening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom