Just a reminder to everyone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba11b

Reaction score
I saw something this past week I hope I don't have to ever see again.

I went down to Cozumel for spring break with my cousin, and we got a 5 day, 10 dive package with Dive Paradise and Hotel Barracuda. We did 3 dives a day on monday and tuesday, and then wednesday we got together with another group of people at the hotel to do a night dive at Paradise reef. Well, to make a long story short, we went out to the dive site with about 12 people and three dive masters. I was with the last group to enter the water. It was my first ocean night dive, and it was great. We saw spotted morays, octopus, and all kinds of stuff.

When we surfaced however, the boat came over and the other divemaster told us to get into the boat as fast as we can. At that time I noticed that an older lady, probably in her late 60's that was with another group was laying on the back of the deck with the emergency O2 kit. As the last few people were getting onto the boat, 2 guys with her group who were both doctors started doing chest compressions and mouth to mouth. They continued this while the boat captain radioed for an ambulance and we made our way to the nearest dock. It took about 5 minutes for the ambulance to get there once we were at the shore, and soon after the Coz EMT's started to look at her, they gave up and delcared she was dead. I never did hear what exactly happened to her except that she was having breathing problems the day before but thought it had to do with the fact that she had asthma. She had apparently decided to dive that night after sitting out the day dives and started having trouble breathing once she surfaced after the dive. The got her onto the boat, but there was nothing anyone could do including the two doctors and three divemasters who were on the boat. The Dive Paradise divemasters and boat crew acted extremely professional throughout the ordeal.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if you even suspect you might have something wrong, don't blow it off and "see what happens". Had this woman went in to get checked out, she might still be alive today.

Safe Diving,
Nathan

Fortunately it does not happen often, however too often.

to the diver's family, and Nathan you hit it on the nail. Under water is already a hostile environment...

:nono: DON'T DIVE IF YOU ARE PHYSICALLY OR MENTALLY COMPROMISED!!! :nono:

Underwater is NOT a hostile environment, it's just unforgiving if you bend the rules.

NetDoc is right on the money. This is really unfortunate, and diving should never be taken lightly when you are not well.

Originally posted by scuba11b
I saw something this past week I hope I don't have to ever see again.

Had this woman went in to get checked out, she might still be alive today.

Safe Diving,
Nathan
Perhaps....

Nathan I am sorry this had to happen on your spring break and I hope that you never have to see something like this again....

And certainly diving is contraindicated for someone with asthma...
Especially someone who is symptomatic....

But people do die.... and sometimes die doing something they love to do rather than sitting life out to make it last longer....

It was a choice she made but perhaps selfishly as it effected everyone on the boat... not just her....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom