Just about going to Sharm....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbouw

New
Reaction score
I have been reading the forum for quite some time and two weeks ago I finally booked a trip to Egypt with a Padi Open Water Course.

I will be leaving tomorrow.

I will be going to Hurghada for 8 days and do the 5 day PADI course. After the 8 days I will travel to Cairo for 2 days and see the Piramides of Giza, Mohammed Ali Moskee, famous Egypt museum and the Bazaar.. Then I will spend another 7 days in Sharm.

I will see how it goes, if I finish the course, and feel up to it I want to try and book some more dives in Sharm.

I read the tips from Mania, have printed it on paper for reference.
When will you have your second chapter ready.. ?

Can anyone tell me how much the average Bakshish is, and when you arrive, where can you get the money in such small notes.. ? (I will rephrase the question: If I request 5000 egyption pounds I will probably get large bills, where can I get a lot of < 10 pound bills for Bakshish?

Is there something else I should know for the diving, I have read a lot and know what I can expect a bit, but I have never done any diving with tanks. I am though a good underwater swimmer, at least I think I am.. :)

Are there other important issues I am missing for the diving.. ?

With kind regards,
David

dbouw:
when you arrive, where can you get the money in such small notes.. ? (I will rephrase the question: If I request 5000 egyption pounds I will probably get large bills, where can I get a lot of < 10 pound bills for Bakshish?

The ATMs hand out thick wads of smelly mostly 50 pound notes. You will get enough change once you start buying stuff, if only a soda at the airport. If you feel you need to start tipping the moment you arrive, take dollar bills or coins.
BTW coins (Euro or otherwise) aren't appreciated as much because they're difficult for Egyptians to exchange at the bank.
BTW2 beware the worthless 50 piaster bills.

Enjoy your trip!

Usuall bakshish is around couple of Egyptian pounds ar 1 US $. I'm afraid the second chapter won't be ready till tomorrow:(
The first chapter of tips should help you with the basic things.
As for diving - did you booked the course? Which diving centre?
What to expect form diving? Well - everything and nothing - you will see the whole new world. And once you like it it would mean the whole new life for you.
Have fun there and we are waiting for your trip report after you will be back.
The latest weather report from Hurghada (not the internet one but from my friends who live there) - it's getting colder - during the day 18 - 20 Centigrades, during the night drops down to 10 Centigrades. Water temp. - 25 Centigrades. Wind 12-20 km/hour. Sunshine.
So pack one sweater for the long nights.
Mania

mania:
Usuall bakshish is around couple of Egyptian pounds ar 1 US $. I'm afraid the second chapter won't be ready till tomorrow:(

Between 5 and 10 pound if I understand you correctly is O.K. ?
And more if someone has done some effort for you..

mania:
As for diving - did you booked the course? Which diving centre?

I booked the complete trip through a travel agency only doing travels to Egypt.
I also booked the diving course with them.. I am staying at the Marriott Beach Resort in Hurghada and the Crown Plaza in Sharm..

The diving school is 'Aquarius diving', they are also situated in the Marriott Resort.
The reason why I did it this way is that they seem O.K, and they offer training course material in my own language. (I am dutch.)

Any experiences with them? If they are very bad, don't tell :)

Thanks for the weather report..

The water temparture seems very nice.. :)

With kind regards,
David

5 pounds is a lot - so it will be OK. I don't know the centre, so I can't comment. Hotels BTW are OK.
Hope you will be having fun. Take care of yourself in Cairo - it's a mad city!!!! But I like it very much.
Let us know how it was when you be back.
Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom