Just another guy looking for advice -- dive destinations...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rling

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all
A bit worried about starting this thread as it's a FAQ, but an "old-timer" assures me I'll survive the experience ;-) Hi Don!

I have a business trip early August to the US, a place I've never dived, being from the southern hemisphere. I want to fit in a week's diving somewhere in the region -- US, Central America or Caribbean. Not being local, I don't know the options, I might as well be trying to decide where to dive on the moon. I need to learn fast as I have about 2 weeks left!

Budget about $1500 for the week incl flights ex LA or Boston (the 2 places I'm visiting). Say $1800 at a pinch. Basic accom is fine, so could spend less on accom and more on good diving. I'll be alone, so the kind of place where its easy to meet others and dive,dive,dive. A package incl transfers etc would make life easier.

My thoughts so far:
Cozumel - sounds budget-conscious but very crowded, maybe even a "diver mill" like Koh Tao in Thailand? Yes, no? Do the reefs show the impact of the number of divers? Are you tripping over other divers everywhere? Shore diving option is a plus. Seems flights from Boston are around $500.
Belize or Honduras... chance to brush off my Spanish? Flights around $650 but I believe extra domestic flights may be needed.
Dutch Antilles -- Bonaire is supposed to be heaven for shore diving, but is it in budget? Flights seem to start about $750 ex Boston
Costa Rica or Cocos Island -- schooling hammerheads would be fantastic but I'm pretty sure this is NOT in budget ;-)
Other places I have never even considered? Panama, Baja California, etc?

A bit more info: I've done about 750 dives, love photography, hate being rushed, very good on air, rather spend an hour or more at 10m/33ft than 15 minutes at depth. Critter-oriented. Drive non-photographer buddies crazy (even photographer buddies sometimes ;-)) Drysuit-equipped, but warm is probably better - it's winter down here now! If I can shore dive as well as boat dive that would be heaven, in fact I'll probably only come topside for meals and to sleep ;-) Something quite different to the barrier reef would be a bonus.

Sorry for such a long post... I was sure it would be short when I started!!

Thanks in advance!!
R

(edit:typo)

Last edited:
Sorry no one replied sooner. I'll give it a go. I've been to three of the four destinations you listed.

Costa Rica is out of budget.

If you must go to Honduras I would recommend Roatan. Cheap direct flights from US. Not everyday for some some airlines that fly direct.

Dutch antilles; Pricier than Cozumel without better diving to justify the difference in price. I prefer Curacao to Bonaire but thats just me.

I would go to Cozumel. Least expensive. I was there last summer and the reefs looked fine. We were worried that the hurrricanes had destroyed them. Some sand covering some of the coral but but it appears to be bouncing back very well. Still lots of life there. Dive Paridise and dive Palancar let us dive for an hour and sometimes more. You can brush up on your spanish there too.

If you have not dived the Carribbean you may be disappointed with what you find here compared to Southeast Asia where I assume you have done many of your 750 dives. Fewer species of fish, critters and coral. And less of the fewer.

In Cozumel expect 85F water temp.

Dive sites I would recommend; Bolones and Paso del Cedral Reef are my favorites from last summer. I will be going back again in December.

Last edited:
If you are going to LA, get out to the Channel Islands. Water temp. Is fine with your drysuit. Critters are wonderful here. May sites to choose from and great macro. Have fun!
Rob

Thanks diggerled and Rob!
I think Cozumel is still on the table, though getting back to Sydney (via Texas and Cal) would be about 36 hours flying ;-) Baja California is only a short flight, but 5 days in Loreto is over $1300 which is a lot more than Cozumel.

I'm with you on the biodiversity in the Caribbean, diggerled -- new sightings are half the fun of any dive trip for me, and I have to say we are a little spoiled here in Sydney :)

I've been in touch with a boat serving the channel islands out of Ventura. Just a matter of getting up there somehow for the early start! I can get a train or bus to Long Beach but Ventura is harder. I believe there are sometimes GWS hanging round the channel islands ...?? Ever see one Rob?

Cheers
R

You can stay in Bonaire for under 70 USd a night. Airfare on CO or AA (CUR) is often affordable. Trucks are 243.10 a week. Diving is 139.00 for 6 days. Eating 10-20 USD a night is possible. Or try Saba. I am heading there in Aug. and you can fly cheap from BOS on Jet Blue to SXM and then Winair is 140.00. I have rooms around 70 a night. Email me if you need help at ann@bonairecaribbean.com

My recent clients LOVED Saba.

Of the places you listed, I recommend Bonaire. The unlimited shore diving will get you way more bottom time than the others, plus you get to dive when, where, for as long as YOU want. You'll be able to find cheap basic accomodations. Throw in a boat dive as a change of pace.

You didn't list it, but I would consider a liveaboard in Belize.

Hey there rling. I personaly haven't seen any Whites in The Channel Islands, though I'm sure they are around. All the GWS I've had the excitment of seeing were up in central California. Quite the humbling sight. I'm sure you have a tale or two from your side of the Pacific.
Go see California Diving News - The Premier Website for California Divers if you haven't yet. They have a list of most of the boats in California, where they are harboured, and where they plan to go. I am envious, I'd love to go back Australia and dive. Only place I went was Byron Bay's Julian (sp?) Rocks. Awsome...
Be well.

I just returned from a trip to Cayman Brac and had the best dive trip ever! Brac Reef Resort is spectacular and they have very good pricing right now as they are trying to rebuild their business post hurricaine.

Thanks diggerled and Rob!
I think Cozumel is still on the table, though getting back to Sydney (via Texas and Cal) would be about 36 hours flying ;-) Baja California is only a short flight, but 5 days in Loreto is over $1300 which is a lot more than Cozumel.

I'm with you on the biodiversity in the Caribbean, diggerled -- new sightings are half the fun of any dive trip for me, and I have to say we are a little spoiled here in Sydney :)

I've been in touch with a boat serving the channel islands out of Ventura. Just a matter of getting up there somehow for the early start! I can get a train or bus to Long Beach but Ventura is harder. I believe there are sometimes GWS hanging round the channel islands ...?? Ever see one Rob?

Cheers
R

Cozumel would be a good place; the only problem I would have is the photography end of it - drift diving with currents. Aldora Divers is the only shop I know who would give you 60-70 minutes underwater ($90 for 2 dives using 120 cf Steels). They have small boats (6 to 8 people) which makes it nice and not crowded. They start earlier diving than all the other shops so they are not as likely to be swarmed by other boats with divers. We were there in May and dove with them and it was great.

Thanks all for the replies. Much appreciated.
Unfortunately my employer has decided not to play ball... I've just been "advised" not to take leave on this trip after earlier assurances it would be OK. So its goodbye to a week at sunny single-digit latitudes for me. :depressed:

I could also lose one of my 2 spare days to dive out of LA, they want to move my flight to Boston to Sunday morning which means no diving Saturday. I'm fighting but expect it to be a losing battle. :depressed: x 2.

Hopefully I get to come to the US again in a year or so and can find this thread again so I can refresh on all this good advice from you lot. Then I'll be booking MY OWN flights.

Thanks

R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom