Just back from a week at SCC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BettyfromToronto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got home yesterday at 4am from our 4th trip to SCC in 53 weeks. Love SCC. The hotel staff gave us our favourite room again right on the water. The dive staff remembered I don't do small boats due to motion sickness so we got one of the big boats and they gave us our favourite DM from our April & November trip. And the restaurant staff all remembered us by name and some even our room #.

It was a very busy week with all our planning to retire there next Feb/Mar.

Monday afternoon was Happy Hour at Blue Angel with all the SB's and locals who live there full time or part time. Had a great time meeting everyone. Thanks to Eva, owner of BA for all the free tapas to go with our drinks.

Tuesday afternoon we met with a lawyer to find out about the recent immigration changes. Biggest one is now you have to do your initial interview in your home country before arriving. Then go to the Cozumel immigration office on arrival to apply for the temporary residence visa.

Wednesday afternoon we had coffee with Karen our real estate agent just to chit chat. Followed by an appointment with an insurance agent who did up a quote for us in the computer to see what it would cost us. This was the big unknown for us as we get free health care in Canada. Irma was great and we were pleasantly surprised at how cheap it is going to be. That was the last item so now it is confirmed 100% we will be retiring in Cozumel early 2014.

The weather was fantastic all week. We paid for the 2-tank Twilight/Night dive and finally saw our first splendid toad fish. First, second & third all in one dive. We also paid for a 6th day of diving on the Friday. We decided to hire our favourite DM for the day and it was well worth the cost. It was great to dive Columbia Bricks with no other divers around. Second dive at Punta Tunich was even better. We were first in and saw an eagle ray in the first two minutes. He was feeding on the bottom so I laid down beside him about 3 feet away for at least 5 minutes. It was wonderful not to have any other divers swim up and crowd us.

We love SCC and will be back for a week in November/December before our final move in Jan/Feb.

Betty

Great report betty. I love night diving, so much out and about you never see in the daytime. My favorites are the octupus you see at night. Be there in 33 days.:D

:snorkel2: Great report Betty !! Did you find the underwater Chichen-Itza ?? I was hoping to be at Scuba Club in January but it never worked out. I will be there for 10 days in March :) Who was your divemaster ?? The first time I was there it was Miguel, and the last time I was there is was Geiser. Both very good.

Divegoose

Divegoose: We never found the underwater Chichen-Itza as we never did a shore dive at SCC. :) We were going to do a twilight shore dive on the Thursday but then we ended up doing the 2-tank boat dive. We then thought about doing a Friday afternoon shore dive as our flight wasn't until 10pm Saturday but never did. It would have been Joe's 100th dive but it still wasn't enough to make us go.

Congrats on your impending retirement>> Hope to join you in that in Coz

Good luck..... about 10 years behind you

Betty,

Glad to hear you had a good time at SCC. Have never been there and just booked a week starting Sat Jan 19, with my dive buddy from Toronto. One of the advantages of retirement!!

Colin

So, you're trading in the snow boots for flip flops... good trade. Congrats on the upcoming retirement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom