Just back from Coco View (longish)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just got back from spending a week diving at Coco View and had a great time. It was our first visit to Roatan, and although I don't see us returning any time soon, it probably won't be our last visit.

The good: We stayed in a cabana over the water and absolutely adored the wall of windows overlooking the ocean and private lanai. We never closed our blinds and enjoyed the natural light all the windows provided. The resort was super clean, super well maintained, easy to get around, and super secure. There's a lockbox in the rooms, but we never bothered to use it and never had anything even touched in our room....we never even locked our door. There was plenty of hot water, plenty of room to put our stuff, and our room was very clean (no bugs at all!).

The food was very plentiful and very good IMO. It's basic home cooking type of food, with a veggie and salad bar always available at dinner. It isn't even close to gourmet so if you're a foodie, it won't likely excite you to eat there.

The dive operation is really second to none IMO. It is valet diving where you're taken care of from start to finish. Our DM was Eddie and our captain was Jorge, both excellent at what they do. If you're the type that likes to "tour" a reef, you likely wouldn't like the diving style at CCV. All the DMs go very slowly, looking for creatures and critters, giving photographers plenty of time to get their shots. Bottom time on all guided dives was 60 minutes, which was plenty of time given the short SI before being dropped off at either Newman's Wall or CCV Wall.

We spoke with repeaters as well as Mitch and Deb, the new managers. Nothing has changed at CCV with Liz's departure (except people missing Liz), and there aren't ANY plans to do so. Mitch was very clear that there is no reason to mess with the well oiled machine that is CCV, and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". However, he did say they were looking into offering more healthy choices at meals, so if you want to look at that as a "change", there might be one in the future. :wink:

During our week we had very few bugs...we were very lucky I guess. There were a few no-see-ums that we had a few bites from (less than 15 all week each), but we literally saw 3 mosquitos all week. We were very good about applying our bug spray, and our few no-see-um bites were clustered in spots we figure we didn't spray. :shakehead:

The bad: Although we loved the diving, and were very impressed with the abundance of hard coral, gorgonian coral, sea fans, and sponges, we were disappointed somewhat in the amount of sea life there was. We did see about 5 different Lionfish in various stages of growth (from 1" to 10"), but it was the absence of reef fish and macro creatures that really stunned us. Someone in our group who was there last year even remarked that there was a huge absence of crabs and lobsters as well, so we couldn't help but wonder if it was more about overfishing/harvesting than the Lionfish "invasion". We did see some HUGE crabs and lobsters, so it wasn't like there weren't any

We did see quite a few seahorses and pipefish, which was very cool, so although I titled this "the bad", it really wasn't "bad"....just not quite what we had hoped for.

The viz in the Front Yard was bad the entire week. Best days were 30', worst close to 10'. We didn't do any extra diving or night dives out front because of the viz.

On a surface interval we saw the old Bay Island Aggressor boat, which was in pathetic condition. It was sad to see a once majestic liveaboard sitting at a pier rusting away.

All in all, the good FAR outweighed the "bad", and the "bad" wasn't even bad in the grand scheme of things. Will we return? Absolutely we will return to CCV and Roatan!

I'll post a link to our photos once I finish editing them.

Great trip report . I was there in 1999 and have not yet been back . It is a good experience but there is too many more places to see before I return to Roatan . I thought the fish population was poor back then . I guess it just gets less all the time . People gotta eat .

My fiancee and I were at Fantasy Island last week and will post a trip report in the next couple of days when things settle down. Thanks for the great report.

Welcome back. Glad you had a good time. We have had bad vis out front before. It does take away from the experience. Too bad, when its good and you can see the wreck from Cocowall or the 15' bouy it is jsut awsome.
I would say that Bonaire has much more swimmers than Roatan but the sponge and corals of Roatan give up some great wide angle opertunities.

Enjoyed your report!!! I'm excited to see your pics!!!!

Glad you had a nice trip. Get wet again soon.

The bad viz out front was probably the most disappointing part of the trip. It was so bad some days that it would extend past the sand channel on CCV Wall so you would be FAR warned that you were almost back. :( We wanted very much to night dive in the front yard, but it just didn't seem worth it.

Hey DiveMaven... Glad it went pretty well for you and yours and returned safely...

The vis on the Prince was bad two or three times and maybe more (< 15') but we thought it had more to do with the tides than just the area in general... I do not recall any "bad" days on the wall's but there could have been once or twice.

Our thoughts on CCV are pretty much the same as yours as we will probably return but... there are so many other places to visit before I return to a place I have been before! When we were in the Galapagos I was asked, "will you come back?" I replied with a "NO" because there are so many other places I want to get too see! However, this was "pre" diving so maybe another trip is in order, just not at the top of the list...

lee

The bad viz out front was probably the most disappointing part of the trip. It was so bad some days that it would extend past the sand channel on CCV Wall so you would be FAR warned that you were almost back. :( We wanted very much to night dive in the front yard, but it just didn't seem worth it.

The way you describe it- being quite visible until East of the sand channel- aka- the "First Red Can" of "CCV Head"......

This is usually very much so connected with rain and resulting run-off from Fantasy Island to the West~ sometimes an occasional heavy ESE wind can multiply the effect. What were the weather conditions- also, if you know- in days previous to your arrival? Rain makes the little critters withdraw into the reef structure- even the local experts can't find them, much less us vacationers.

As Isorenson points out, the tides are always an issue.

What you are describing occurs with rarity, but it does happen. Usually tied to the weather.

We didn't do any extra diving or night dives out front because of the viz

When it is murky, that's when the really cool stuff comes out during a night dive. Rays, Octopus, Squid, Eels and such. But~If it was also cold from rain run-off, even they hide.

Thanks for the report. We'll be back in a couple of months. Regarding the low viz in the front yard, that can vary so much due to weather and sea conditions, it's hard to predict. Where the Prince Albert sits, and that surrounding Front Yard area, sits in a natural bowl that catches everything the winds and currents bring from the southeast. I actually like those low viz days in the Front Yard because all the critters are out because they aren't as visible as prey!

Since the south side has been included in the new marine protected area we've actually seen an increase in fish life, especially the larger specimens of Groupers and Triggerfish. But I understand what you're saying...it's not bad just not what you were expecting to see.

But no matter how bad the viz gets in the front, it's ALWAYS way better than anything we have locally so I'll take it in a heartbeat!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom