Just bought a Hero3....questions on accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FitnessKelly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just got a Hero3, also my first GoPro camera. Wanted to know what accessories are recommended for SCUBA (besides the housing obviously)? For instance, how will I mount/carry the camera on a dive?

Bonus points (off-topic) for accessory suggestions for mountain biking. I'm currently leaning towards the helmet strap.

Thanks!

Head mount is ok for set it and forget it, but you will get a lot of jerky motion from looking around all the time. If you put it on your head put the straps under your hood so that it doesnt come off.

There are also different pole options to hold the camera out. This is cool because you can turn the camera around and see yourself.

It depends. Do you plan on adding lights later?

It depends. Do you plan on adding lights later?

Not planning to unless we find that we need them. We are open to the idea though. I mean, if you go as far to get the set-up to capture memories, might as well have decent quality memories!

Just took mine in the water first time today, but I've got a ton of experience with still cams.

1) head mount or mask mount: can be jerky and disorienting because you move your head more than you think.

2) chest mount: much more stable and less jerky than head but may get obstructed by gear/arms

3) short handle mount: Cheapest and smallest allows you to aim it with fair stability and is still compact.

4) pole mount: usually between 18-36" in length and allows stability and you can often get closer to shy subjects. Also can get some pretty cool self shots. Some are extendable.

5) dive tray: the standard photography/videography mount. Usually consists of flexible arms and lights. Usually the bulkiest and most expensive, but if you practice you can get excellent results.

you can BUY any of the above from various manufacturers online.. Or you can build them yourself for a small cost in materials... Google is your friend.

Your dive questions seem to be being addressed so I'll skip to the bonus question:

I've been riding my bike along a fairly rural trail after work and used one of the curved sticky mounts to attache my HD2 to my helmet. (I'll try to snap a picture of it tonight).

I see lots of critters and am trying to get them on video. A big problem I'm having is the wide field of view. So far I have clips of some deer and 3 little piggies on the trail, but they're awefully small in the video. I'm going to try the narrow view setting for a couple of rides to see if that helps at all.

Here are the helmet mount pics:

GoPro-helmet-mount.jpg

GoProonhelmet.jpg

The new hero 3 would be better, but all I have are 2's.

Last edited:
I just got a Hero3, also my first GoPro camera. Wanted to know what accessories are recommended for SCUBA (besides the housing obviously)? For instance, how will I mount/carry the camera on a dive?

Bonus points (off-topic) for accessory suggestions for mountain biking. I'm currently leaning towards the helmet strap.

Thanks!

Wasn't sure if you meant you needed a different housing like was previously required with the Hero 2. The stock Hero3 housing works fine for diving. I have a few arms/trays, but so far I'm liking the video light/arm from UK due to size and ease of use.

I am plannin to buy a HERO3 black edition before I leave for my trip on February 8. If someone can assist, I have few questions on the accessories too:

- Should I get the Eyeofthemine dive housing instead of the GoPro dive housing?
- Is it necessary to buy the bacpac for this model?
- Is it necessary to buy the blurfix to correct the IQ?

Thanks a million!

I am plannin to buy a HERO3 black edition before I leave for my trip on February 8. If someone can assist, I have few questions on the accessories too:

- Should I get the Eyeofthemine dive housing instead of the GoPro dive housing?
- Is it necessary to buy the bacpac for this model?
- Is it necessary to buy the blurfix to correct the IQ?

Thanks a million!

GoPro housing works fine. It has a flat lens for underwater.
BacPac is great if you like to see what you are shooting, but it is still small and sucks up battery life.
You do not need the blurfix if you use the Hero3 housing. But I would get the SnakeRiverPrototyping red dome filter Shop SRP Filters to help with color correction.

GoPro housing works fine. It has a flat lens for underwater.
BacPac is great if you like to see what you are shooting, but it is still small and sucks up battery life.
You do not need the blurfix if you use the Hero3 housing. But I would get the SnakeRiverPrototyping red dome filter Shop SRP Filters to help with color correction.

Thanks for the valuable info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom