Just bought a Hero3....questions on accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Display is great. Yes it consumes battery but you can bring several batteries (easy to find cheap third party, even with separate charger) and you can simply switch it on/off (underwater) when not filming. The display is not only good for filming, but also for easy playback and it makes changing the settings a whole lot easier. Perhaps you need a tripod mount and some other mounts too?

Thanks for info about battery. Btw, how long do we need to charge a new battery?

I also like to shoot critters. So for macro, which are the lens to buy and which online store sells it?

Thanks for info about battery. Btw, how long do we need to charge a new battery?

It takes a few hours. Here is the charger and spare battery deal I bought. I used the Wasabi batteries in my GoPro2 as well and they lasted longer than the stock battery. You get 2 batteries and a charger for a few bucks more than 1 GoPro brand battery. Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for GoPro HD HERO3 and GoPro AHDBT-201, AHDBT-301: Camera & Photo . I usually charge them all and change batteries between dives. With the LCD backpack I only get about 45 minutes of run time per battery.

I also like to shoot critters. So for macro, which are the lens to buy and which online store sells it?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no macro lens for the GoPro's.

Thank you everyone (and to those just finding the thread - please leave your feedback. I'm still checking the thread and absorbing the info! :wink:

Hi

Done some extensive reading. I realized that I would need a adaptor in order to fit a dome filter so ordered the SRP. I have also ordered the LCD bacpac to be able see what I am shooting as advised by Fota. With the adaptor, any 55mm macro lens may be able to fit. Hope I am on the right track.

Also, wrist mounts for H3 are not in the market yet but will be pretty soon and maybe costly though. Maybe I would DIY. Meanwhile, I will be holding it and shooting without mounts or poles.

Poles or handles are fairly inexpensive and quite cheap if you DIY, I wasn't happy handholding at all and pretty much deleted all my footage from those outings. A DIY wrist mount is one of those nylon or neoprene wrist splints from a pharmacy.

youtube search for "gopro close up lens" there's a few expensive wet mount lenses that will get you near macro capabilities with some magnification... But none are 55mm and require an adapter... Inon, epoque, and subsea are a few.

Close up filters will decrease the minimum focus distance and come in 55mm mount and vary from super cheap to expensive depending on the glass quality, you get what you pay for. These offer no magnification, but allow closer camera to subject distance. Vivitar, Hoya, B+W, and Tiffen are the most common brands. They are not made for wet mount or underwater so results and durability will be in question.

If I may share my very short experience here:
1. for the backpack you have to use the battery backpack if you want to film during more than one dive. Changing the battery on board is always possible, but opening the camera case in a wet boat is always tricky and you need to store the batteries, etc... it just add complexity where you search simplicity, this why we bought a gopro and not a sophisticated camera. So you cannot use the LCD one that in any case drains a lot the battery.
2. handheld the camera with just a safety lockline, is a cheap and not so bad option. It gives you a lot of freedom and I'm quite happy with the footage I have done with (Hannan1 2 - YouTube ).
May be I will change my mind in the future, but for the time being it's good for me above 30m and outside wreck where of course you will need lights and so far tray.

If I may share my very short experience here:
1. for the backpack you have to use the battery backpack if you want to film during more than one dive. Changing the battery on board is always possible, but opening the camera case in a wet boat is always tricky and you need to store the batteries, etc... it just add complexity where you search simplicity, this why we bought a gopro and not a sophisticated camera. So you cannot use the LCD one that in any case drains a lot the battery.
2. handheld the camera with just a safety lockline, is a cheap and not so bad option. It gives you a lot of freedom and I'm quite happy with the footage I have done with (Hannan1 2 - YouTube ).
May be I will change my mind in the future, but for the time being it's good for me above 30m and outside wreck where of course you will need lights and so far tray.

May I ask, if we use the battery bacpac while shooting on dives, how do we get a good centralized focus of the subject without LCD screen, for photos especially?

I do have another question - are the anti fog inserts necessary?

Also, I thought I had read somewhere that the backpack doesn't work with the scuba housing...that's not true?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom