Just curious.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a 55+ diver, but I hope to be someday!

:D

PADI used to have some stats on their web site years back......I believe that the largest new diver age range is in the 25-40 age group...as a bit closer maybe in the late 20's thru the 30's as start up divers...still a guess as I don't follow that stuff much....to busy DIVING!! Good question........ :wink:

Gotta work for a few years to have the money to buy gear and trips. 53 here. Started 10 years ago. Did my Stress and Rescue class on my 49 birthday!!

Enough that it's not weird! My parents cert'd at 60.

Rachel

I am 59 and started with my first confined dive 5 weeks ago...I was 58 then:D

2 quarry dives later and hopefully tomorrow I will finish my skills to get the OW cert.

Never to old to learn eh?

PADI doesn’t have a statistics section on their website anymore, but I found this in one of their old magazines: 3% of Open Water Divers the certified in 1992 were 50 or older. I speculate (based on personal observation only) that this percentage might have increased slightly since.

PADI stats do not equate to all divers. Also, there's no way to know which divers are still active. There's no way to know, but I do know there are lots of divers over 55. I started diving at 27 and will soon be moving into your target group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom