Just did my first DIR dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zimm

Registered
Reaction score
After 6 months of reading about DIR while deployed with the Navy, and aquiring all sorts of new gear, I took my setup out for a test run today. What a difference! I really like it.

(Halcyon 27lbs wing, Fred T plate, A pair of US diver's micra plus 2nd stages, Halcyon hoses with 5' primary, Suunto Vyper computer, Suunto compass, Scubapro twin-jets with springs)

Of course it will take a few dives to get used to where everything is. I took my dad down to 20 feet and practiced removing our masks, swapping regs, etc. I was a bit overweighted and my bouyancy control sucked. I'm thinking it's because I'm rusty and also using a new setup. I'll ditch a few pounds from the weight belt and try again later this week.

I can't wait to get more experience with this rig.

Keep us posted on how you like it once you get it all sorted out.

Cool, glad you got the chance to try the DIR system out.

I agree, lose the Twin Jets. Get some Jet Fins and learn to frog kick.

but just remember being DIR is more than gear.

Okay, I took off three pounds and went back out two days later. Much better. Buoyancy control was much easier.

I noticed while switching over to the backup reg (the DIR book says to do this occasionally), it would get hung up with the hose still around my neck. I know that when I'll really need my backup, the primary will already be unwound and handed over, so it shouldn't be a big deal. I need more practice with it.

I'm not 100% DIR, so don't flame me for that. I'm not wearing the T-shirt or putting the bumper sticker on my jeep.

I love my twinjets for open water ocean out here in Hawaii. They are much better at covering distance on the long surface swims from the shore to the reefs. I've done the stiff blade fins before and they don't fit my style of diving. When I get to Florida and get ready to take my Tech 1 or cave 1 class, then I'll worry about the jet-fins.

I will say that I'm doing the DIR knife idea soon. I just slapped on my standard sized dive knive onto the left side of my belt and it is way too big. Gets in the way of the weight belt and SPG hose. I'll be picking up a steak knife and getting some web belt sewn into a holster this week.

I'm going to sign up for a Padi rescue class next week.

I would say ditch the twins now and get use to the jets if you plan on taking cave classes. If you think your distance to swim now is long, try swimming a mile in and a mile out non stop, in perfect trim with your neck bent up. Learn how to swim like a cave diver now and you will be much better off come class time. I would imagine you would have to take DIRF class before Cave 1. From what I understand no splits in that class either. Good luck in your quest.

Sounds great, and I hate to bust your bubble - but computers also are not DIR as the split fins.

Back
Top Bottom