Just finished "The Last Dive".

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, but it's such a huge discrepancy. In the "author's note" for "Shadow Divers," Kurson states that he obtained his information under interviews with Chatterton and Kohler. There is no such reference in "The Last Dive." While I understand these are good works of non-fiction reading, I'll lean towards the scenario in "Shadow Divers." Being that my husband has to extremely close friends who are authors, one on the NYT best-seller list, I know these books usually go through more than one set of "editorial eyes." I'll bet Kurson had Chatterton and Kohler read the manuscript before it was published.

I also agree that the Shadow Divers account sounds more plausible and that Kurson and his "editorial eyes" would be unlikely not to have checked The Last Dive & other publications for such descrepancies. Once again, I am not a coastie but I would think a rescue copter could accomendate two or more victims. In addition, it would seem Chris Rouse could have easily been led to believe a second copter was soon to be on the scene to pickup his father

It might be interesting to ask him about this discrepancy directly. You can go to his web site: Bernie Chowdhury. and email him. I have had a couple email conversations with him, and he is quick to answer, and seems more than happy to discuss the book. He's also a SB member, but isn't around here much.

OK. I will pose the question to Mr. Chowdhury. The technical diving community at their level is very small and for the most part tight so I am not really expecting much of an answer but I am often wrong... By the way, every since you acquired that expensive box you have been scarce yourself! :)

This is an educational inquiry....

By the way, every since you acquired that expensive box you have been scarce yourself! :)
Yeah. Not due to the box, but some changes in my life circumstances. Workin on fixing that...

OK. I will pose the question to Mr. Chowdhury. The technical diving community at their level is very small and for the most part tight so I am not really expecting much of an answer but I am often wrong...

I suspect that you will get an answer. At various times I have 'cold' e-mailed John Chatterton, Gary Gentile, Jarrod Jablonski, Nuno Gomes and Bret Gilliam, and each of them have always sent me courteous replies. Most people are happy to answer courteously phrased questions.

:focus:

I suspect that you will get an answer. At various times I have 'cold' e-mailed John Chatterton, Gary Gentile, Jarrod Jablonski, Nuno Gomes and Bret Gilliam, and each of them have always sent me courteous replies. Most people are happy to answer courteously phrased questions.

:focus:

Yes, I mostly agree with you. I have heard the classy group listed above are quite accessible. I only stated that as he may have to admit error or place blame on Chatterton to honestly answer the question unless a third party offered incorrect information. To be honest, I have not sent the question (under the weather) but will this weekend. Back soon!

I thought it was a good read that brought back the importance of planning for everything that could go wrong on a dive no matter how well the initial dive plan is. Also liked how the author gave credit to those that paved the way for modern dive tables that I always just took for granted without really appreciating those that actually did the testing.

I have this book sitting on my desk to pick up once I finish my current book! I went on a "dive accident" book spree after reading "Diver Down" another good book about dive accidents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom