Just Got Back From Roatan And...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SquidSpotter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We just returned last week from our first dive trip as a family! My husband and I have been counting the days until we could get our kids certified, as we both loved diving before they came along. Parenting has a way of putting things on hold if grandparents and relatives aren't close by.

We went to Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan, which proved to be a perfect place for a family to dive. We were able to take advantage of the 2 for 1 special, so it was affordable for four of us to go. I loved that I didn't have to think about where or what we were going to eat, the staff was fantastic with our kids (ages 14, 10) and we felt safe. The accomodations were great, as well.

The diving was fantastic for my beginners, and they we had no problems keeping them in their depths. On the last day of diving we were visited by wild dolphins, and the week was stamped with the seal of perfection! you can see what we saw here.

My question for you is in all of your cumulative experience, where would be the next great place to go that is relatively affordable and great for kids? My daughter will be 11 next time we go, so still limited on her depths, but my son will be 15 and no longer considered "Junior" with SSI.

Thanks for the report. You and your family are not likely to forget your trip especially the dive with wild dolphins. We are a family of four divers and Roatan is on the list. We have been to Bon 4 times and it as a great place for a family of divers. Little Cayman was a special treat and we have been to Grand Cayman, Provo, Key West and Bermuda, but for overall affordability for diving Bon is our best bet. For us we stay with a place with a kitchen, fits our style better and makes the trip much more affordable. Age limitations and being new divers not an issue on Bon. The diving can be as easy and as shallow as you like.

One thing about Bon - the entries are over broken rock and coral often into surge. I'm not sure 10 & 14 year olds would find that pleasant. There are a couple places where the entries are over sand but the majority are a bit difficult both going in and coming out. Not sure Bon is the place for younger noobs.

While many of the "signature" Bonaire sites can have tricky entry/exits, there are plenty of easy sites if you include the dock sites such as Buddy's and Capt. Don's. With any of the Dive Friends entries, Oil Slick, Windsock, Pink Beach, Tori's Reef, a boat dive or two, you can find plenty of relatively easy sites to keep your family happily diving. I would think diving on your own schedule would be especially helpful with a diving brood. Wherever you go, have fun. As I'm sure you already know, family diving is a real gift whether it's your spouse as a dive buddy or a whole crew. :)

Last edited:
Depends on the site, day and weather. Ours were 11 and 14 on the first trip and they had no problem. Most of our diving though was on house reefs and from boats with only some truck shore diving Don't want to start the boat vs. shore dive debate, but staying at or near a place with a good house reef and access to boat diving is a plus, especially on your first trip. On the first trip they dove oil slick (loved the plunge), something special and another I can't remember at the moment and they had no problem.

One thing about Bon - the entries are over broken rock and coral often into surge. I'm not sure 10 & 14 year olds would find that pleasant. There are a couple places where the entries are over sand but the majority are a bit difficult both going in and coming out. Not sure Bon is the place for younger noobs.

Thanks for the heads up...truth be told, they are both pretty fearless little toughies.

We took our daughters - 12 & 13 - to Bon on their first post-cert trip. No problems at all. We outfitted them with 63's instead of 80s- since they are both water breathers - to reduce their load. Sure, there are some places that would be a little much for them, but common sense rules - just go somewhere easier. Go to oil slick and let them jump (repeatedly). They'll eat that up (me too).

Nothing quite as easy as a giant stride off the back of the boat.....

I have dove all over the Caribbean and have taken groups with me, the one place I prefer the most and been there about 13 times with students and family is Curacao!! You can do boat dives AND shore dives. Their shore dives are easy shore dives in the most part and are suitable for families and young divers. Most of the shore dives in Curacao are beach entries and the reef is within easy short swim from the sandy shore. You can actually skip the boat dives and just rent a truck and drive all over the Island and go diving stopping at local restaurants for lunch. Curacao is much less expensive than the Caymans.

Back
Top Bottom