Just got my 1st reg...Deep6!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Wilson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Even after watching several of the unboxing videos, I have to say, it was really exciting to unbox my own!! I've got a Navigation class in 2 weeks, and weekend dive trip the following weekend, so I'm really looking forward to trying them out!!

Are there any any specific issues I should be looking for on the first set of dives?

Nope, just enjoy them!

Congrats on your reg set, you've bought good stuff for sure!

As for specific issues to look for: Nothing specific.

For general issues with any reg, I tend to overthink and undertrust...but my suggestion is simple if you're worried (I always am with new or newly serviced or rental gear):
  1. Hook them up on land and make sure they breathe and breathe well. Listen/look for leaks.
  2. Breathe on them with your face in the water while otherwise at the surface. You're looking/listening for leaks again, and feeling for wet breathing. Sometimes the little exhaust valve can be stuck or stiff and let water into the reg.
  3. Consider buying an Intermediate Pressure Gauge (IP Gauge). They can be had for like $10 and will help diagnose reg issues if they come up, and help confirm good first stage performance. You just plug it into the standard BCD inflator hose and check the reading after a few breaths/purges. If it's stable, you're normally good.
There's really nothing to any of it.

basically what @victorzamora said. Grab an IP gauge, check for leaks *can spray with soapy water/simple green, or just dunk them in the sink/tub/pool whatever*, breathe on them and make sure you're happy with them

I will say that during storage, make sure the screws on the second stages are all the way out as that puts less pressure on the seat, and before you dive, turn the secondary all the way in and make sure the venturi lever is on "-" so it will be less prone to freeflowing, and make sure the primary is on "+" with the screw all the way in

@cerich and the rest of the team at Deep6 did a killer job on those regs, you made a good choice!

I did buy an IP gauge from DGX. Thought about a Second Stage In-Line Adjusting Tool w/IP Gauge, but I'm not sure I'm ready to 'disassemble Number 5' yet. I tend to be heavy-handed with wrenches, so just worried that I'll damage them when reassembling.

I'm strongly considering the Deep 6 reg service class when they have another one in FL. I went through the manual, and it looked a little daunting. More the multiple statements about how clean the environment needed to be. I've got 2 good sized Labs (hair factories), and a garage that constantly has sawdust flying around, so...

But, even if I don't decide to do the service myself, I'd like to better understand what all goes on inside.

@Trace Wilson clean is important, but I clean mine with a super sheddy great dane who likes to get in my work space. Definitely take the class, it's worth it. Inline adjusting tool is only a time saver, not necessary

@Trace Wilson, If you're curious about the insides of the second stage, it comes apart easily but perhaps do not go all the way to taking the barrel itself apart, i.e. releasing all the tension on the second stage spring. Unless you have a new LP seat handy or are ok with it being a bit less well tuned. The poppet rotates in the barrel and does not have any fixed rotation when reassembled, so when you put it back together it is unlikely that the orifice will still indent on the low pressure seat in exactly the same place. I was so curious myself... LP seat rotated, after getting off center orifice indent. Any issue?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom