Just got my Drysuit from Ebay gonna have a lot of Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Just bought a new drysuit on Ebay and need instructions on Care, Maint, and basic diving skills. Is there any good online websites?
If not I will right up a post with questions.
Thanks Richard

Have you done a drysuit course or have buddies with drysuits you can dive with?

It's okay to read up about drysuits on the internet, but they're not really a piece of gear you just put on and teach yourself. I flogged ScubaBoard to death reading every thread on them, and still learnt new stuff on the course, even though I felt I didn't have a fantastic instructor - I've saved my butt on one occasion already with one skill I learnt on the course. They're a very dynamic piece of diving gear - not at all like diving in a wetsuit. Done about 20 dives and still haven't dialed in decent buoyancy - especially in the last 20' of the dive - getting there though.

Diving dry does rock though :)

Yes have buddies up in San Jose who dive Monterey but I am down here in So Cal. I plan on diving with them and have sent out an email to pick there water logged brains. Yes been thinking about a course but probably will spend the money on a hotel room and dive Monterey with my buds though. Some of them have over 200 dives and probably as much or more Experience as any instructor.

ChasingRichard once bubbled...
Yes have buddies up in San Jose who dive Monterey but I am down here in So Cal. I plan on diving with them and have sent out an email to pick there water logged brains. Yes been thinking about a course but probably will spend the money on a hotel room and dive Monterey with my buds though. Some of them have over 200 dives and probably as much or more Experience as any instructor.

A whole 200 dives huh? At least try it in a pool or a pool-like site first.

My first drysuit was a vulcanized Viking. It came with a little booklet that explained how to use it.

I read that and followed the instructions.

Many moons and drysuits later I learned how to best use a drysuit... and it was nothing like the little booklet described or they teach in most classes.

I ended up taking a huge amount of weight off my belt as an ancillary benefit.

Inquire of prospective instructors and/or drysuit mentors if they use the drysuit for buoyancy control. If they say yes... move on.

Just never let your feet get higher than your head.!!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Inquire of prospective instructors and/or drysuit mentors if they use the drysuit for buoyancy control. If they say yes... move on.

Yes that is a raging debate on here.

"Just never let your feet get higher than your head!!"

of course there is a lot more to it than that....but that is a biggie

RICHinNC once bubbled...
Just never let your feet get higher than your head.!!

Why? We have to go down hill head first in caves all the time (even streight down. No biggie.

From a Drysuit Newbie (well, Novermber anyway...)

* Remember to attach the hose before you get in the water. After diving wet for 4 years, I forgot again just last week....

* Be sure the zaipper is really closed. Sometimes it stops right at the end, but isn't really closed-closed. Always give it a little tug.

* Don't go Michelin Man with the thing. Its Exposure protection, not a full-body buoyancy device.

* No cotton - you will sweat and cotton will only make it cooler and really uncomfortable. This means Sox, T shirts, Sweats, etc. No cotton.

* No Wire Hangers. I just like saying that...

* Buy or make a fat bodied hanger and store it with the zipper open. Others will provide links to their dryers and hangers and other mad-scientist devices soon, I'm sure.

* The seals don't need to be TIGHT, the need to be firm. I don't come up with neck hickey rings from my neck seal...and its never leaked. I'm blown away at how many people have it so tight they get marks on their neck (not that that's always a bad thing...but when diving...)

* If you pull it off part way on your SI, be sure to not SIT on your neck seal. On my last dive, one guy sat down in the galley on something and ripped his neck seal.

* You don't need ankle weights. You do not need ankle weights. I don't get that. Why would you put a weight on your motor?

* Practice, Practice, Practice. Practice donning and doffing at home. Best to look like a dork in front of the mirror and not the entire dive boat. My LDS said it'd take about 10 - 12 dives until your feeling comfortable and confident. I was probably close to that before I got to the point where its a no brainer (except for the %#^$& hose...)

There's tons more... be safe and go guppy diving the first few times out. Mike's right - keep it pool-like for the first several dives. Its like Skiing.... "Oh. I'll show you" and a buddy takes you to black diamond death run and says "now, watch me....." and zip - he's gone. If you're not comfortable, or if the conditions (as they are up there often) are real surgey, etc. Its not time to practice and "just watch me." Be careful, as it is quite different from diving wet.

You'll love it, by the way.

K

Back
Top Bottom