Just how fast is the average diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Never really thought about this one before, but in really numbers:

How fast can your average diver in full gear swim?

and/or

What speed current in knots can your average diver kick against for any significant period of time?

If it makes it easier, maybe breaking it down further would help?
1: single tank, wetsuit, minimal gear
2: drysuit, doubles
3: diver swimming with large video/camera housing

I guess a good start would be to use a knot meter, or even just the speed gauge on an anchored boat. There must be thousands of posts on here talking about dives where the current was running x knots. But in most cases I think x was pulled out of someone's butt. If you didn't actually measure that current, then you don't really know.

Wearing 2 tanks and a drysuit I normally average around 50 feet/minute when cave diving,so that's about 1/2 knot. Can swim faster than that but not for a long time.

Caves make it easy to measure your speed as many of them have markers every 100 feet.

Ditto what Ian said.

If I want fast I use my scooter. Otherwise I'm like a Percheron ... I can go all day, but I don't like to run ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If I want fast I use my scooter. Otherwise I'm like a Percheron ... I can go all day, but I don't like to run ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Same here Bob...well except I don't have a scooter. Was just wondering what the real numbers were.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom