• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Just ordered my FATHOM!

Discussion in 'Rebreather Diving' started by Doby45, May 6, 2019.

1. rddvet

rddvet DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Funny. We got bored at blue grotto when building hours too. There were boring times in our class too. It's all about getting comfortable in the unit, so we swam and swam and reswam the same ow routes in a mexican cenote over and over. It was very boring, but obviously helpful. I wondered if it was cause we sucked and needed to just dive more, but I've had a few other people tell me their class got boring at points too from the same thing over and over

Doby45 likes this.
  2. kensuf

kensuf Cave Instructor

My favorite times with Doby was getting him to hover 6" above the silt in blue grotto then hitting him with a bailout. Good times... LOL! :D

Doby45 likes this.
  3. Doby45

Doby45 Do I have something in my teeth?

4. Brad_Horn

Brad_Horn Nassau Grouper

Ken,
    Just to put it out there, but if you have any problem with running HP oxygen through either of those options at the right IP, you might find the OSEL spec Apollo A320 CMF Oxy 1st stages a viable alternative. They can be factory set up to 19bar or at any custom IP from 11bar.

Difference over standard Apollo A320 1st stage that you can buy locally is they come CE'd with a blanking plug and custom HP seat specified for 300bar O2 use as certified by bam.de
    A320 Open Safety Equipment Ltd
    Service kit Open Safety Equipment Ltd
    User Manual https://www.opensafety.eu/datasheets/A-320 Operating Manual 110114.pdf

5. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Divemaster

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Don’t let him fool you. You can’t dive a pdf.

cathal likes this.
  6. rjack321

rjack321 Captain

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    oh yea take my money

7. silent running

silent running Barracuda

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Fellows FWIW, I recently ordered an OSEL ALVBOV and received it in a reasonable amount of time. I therefore do not doubt the OSEL spec Apollo 1st stages they sell are as they claim to be, since they are much easier to bring to market than a brand new part such as the ALVBOV.

Despite the PR failings of OSEL, I have had many good conversations/correspondence with them, and it seems to me that from the basic WOB specifications for CC and OC, the ALVBOV is the best BOV, if your gas flow goes the right direction. Big if, since it is opposite the current standard direction. It may be the best thing to come from the APOC design, and obviously they would sell a lot more if the gas flow was reversible. And I’m not even a fan of the automatic bailout function built into the ALVBOV, though I have not tested it yet, as I’m not through making the necessary modifications to my Prism 1 CLs to adapt to the supplied OSEL CL elbows.

Will post my actual dive experiences in another thread but having one in my hands, I really like the design, basic functionality and build quality of the ALVBOV.

Dsix36 and Brad_Horn like this.
  8. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Divemaster

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Well, let’s just hope you don’t torch yourself on your unit. The paradox would unravel the space-time continuum.

Question, if someone kills themselves with an OSEL piece of kit, does Deas testify against himself? And does getting his own testimony inserted so far up his rectal cavity that he no longer needs to brush the back sides of his teeth, actually get him off the hook?