Just returned from Cozumel and used Costco Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FlyinV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just got back from my first trip to Cozumel and I booked the trip thru Costco Travel.
The resort they book in Cozumel was Cozumel Palace and it is a pretty high class all-inclusive.

Had a wonderful time and now I can't wait to go back!
Nice warm clear water with lots to see!

If you want to read more about the trip and the deal thru Costco I wrote up a little blog report.

http://nwdivers.me/blog/cozumel-palace-aqua-safari-a-scuba-dive-trip-thru-costcotravel/

PSX_20180508_213934.jpg

edit: just answered my own question. Any reasoning/explanation why they don't let credits work on the afternoon/evening dives?

Last edited:
No idea why they don't allow you to use the credits on the other dives.

It was nice that they didn't have a cap on how much of the credits you could use for diving.
They did have a cap on how much of the credits you could use in the spa.

You also can't use the credit for rental gear or for Nitrox tank fills.

Nice write up. At $1600 per person for an upscale AI that includes airfare and most of the diving, that's really a pretty decent price. The biggest drawback in your post was the dive time of 50 minutes. Next was an hour to hour and a half boat ride.

No idea why they don't allow you to use the credits on the other dives.

It was nice that they didn't have a cap on how much of the credits you could use for diving.
They did have a cap on how much of the credits you could use in the spa.

You also can't use the credit for rental gear or for Nitrox tank fills.

Nice report.

I imagine the credits could not be used on ancillary dives because they can't cover expenses on those. Fuel prices here have sky rocketed and dive prices are increasing around the island as a result.

Nitrox fills are provided by an outside facility, so that is why the credits could not be used for Nitrox. For rental gear, credits don't cover replacement or wear and tear - so that makes sense as well.

The 16% tax is understandable - we (businesses) are tax collectors for the government and regardless of payment method, we are responsible for collecting and reporting the sales tax on top of our prices.

I did notice that they are charging almost double for the marine park fees.

The resort they book in Cozumel was Cozumel Palace and it is a pretty high class all-inclusive.

And they have the best JEEP's for rent in Cozumel. :D

@FlyinV, your report made me go check out Costco Travel's website right away!

I read this in your report:

2 People - 6 days of 2 tanks diving -- Cost us just over $150.
We also had to purchase the marine park passes for $4 a day per person.

Is $150 for 6 days of 2 tank diving for 2 people a typo? Up above you said it was $80/2-tank dive per person. I also noticed the $4 marine park fee...

I've always wanted to try Cozumel Palace...

Edit: Oops, forget it, I figured it out. That is the cost of the 16% tax on 6 days of diving for 2 people. I get it now!

That credit system seems like it would be frustrating. Is Cozumel Palace significantly nicer than other AI's on Coz such as Hotel Cozumel?

I always cringe when I see resorts listed as "all inclusive" but then see things like diving are extra.

That credit system seems like it would be frustrating. Is Cozumel Palace significantly nicer than other AI's on Coz such as Hotel Cozumel?

I always cringe when I see resorts listed as "all inclusive" but then see things like diving are extra.

Cozumel Palace is on a different level than Hotel Cozumel. The former is more akin to the AIs you would find on the mainland. All inclusives usually don’t include diving, except for the Sandals chain, which are pricey and not usually located in dive destinations. These are AIs for the masses. I think you’re thinking of dive resorts that are all inclusive (accommodations, diving and some or all meals). Two different animals IMO.

Cozumel Palace is on a different level than Hotel Cozumel. The former is more akin to the AIs you would find on the mainland. All inclusives usually don’t include diving, except for the Sandals chain, which are pricey and not usually located in dive destinations. These are AIs for the masses. I think you’re thinking of dive resorts that are all inclusive (accommodations, diving and some or all meals). Two different animals IMO.
Thanks! I'm going to Hotel Cozumel (does include diving in the AI) with Scubaboard next month but in 2019 we're vacationing without the Scubaboard folks. Both my wife and I would like cushier digs, so I'll take a good long look at Cozumel Palace. Sorry to sidetrack the thread!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom