Justifying solo diving to others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't justify it. Solo diving is a choice, hopefully an informed choice. It is your choice, if you have a family, they should have input in that choice. Don't discuss it with other people unless they have a real (family) interest in such a choice or they are experienced solo divers from whom you want serious feedback.

I really only discussed it in depth with my wife. She is the only person I owe that kind of discussion. She understands and so all is good.

As for the others, I shut them down pretty fast. Usually ask them why they think they know more about diving and my safety than I do. They get the hint.

Does it ever get old/annoying? I have mentioned it to people before, and mentioned that its something i might be interested in down the road, and so far EVERYONE ive mentioned it to has just flipped out. So im not even a solo diver (yet) and its already getting old. I havent had one person say to me "well you know, it does have its benefits", or "i can see why youd wanna do that". No. Its just a bunch of people freaking out. So what do you guys do when someone freaks out over the fact that you solo dive? Or is it just more accepted wherever you guys are? I dont live in a big dive community, so that might play a part... Idk.

Well, I'm gonna play a bit of devil's advocate for a moment.

If your dive profile is accurate, perhaps they're freaking out because you're a pretty inexperienced diver talking about doing something that's best left to those with a lot more experience. In that respect, their reaction is justified ... even if their methods are not.

I've been solo diving for about four years now ... and with over 2,700 dives I still get people sometimes chiding me for doing it. Often it's people with far less knowledge, skill and experience than I have. Mostly I listen to what they have to say, tell them "thanks for your concern", and go do what I want to do anyway. It never hurts to assume that people have your best interest at heart and treat them accordingly. After all ... only you have any real control over your decisions. So why should what they think matter anyway?

And keeping that last question in mind, I'm gonna offer you my advice ... take it for what you think it's worth ...

First off, don't worry too much about what other people think. You know what you want. Go for it. Just do so responsibly and don't give them any legitimate reasons for concern.

Which leads me to my second piece of advice ... slow down. People need to learn to dive before they learn to solo dive ... that's why the only agency that offers a recreational solo class requires a minimum of 100 dives first. Solo diving is really all about understanding the risks, preparation, and anticipation of potential problems. Those are things you won't get by taking a class or reading about it on the Internet ... sure, you'll get exposure to those factors that way, but only through experience will you truly develop an understanding of what it really means. And by far the most important skill a solo diver needs is a well-honed awareness of what's going on around you while you're diving. Newer divers tend to develop tunnel-vision, and focus on singular things. That'll get you in trouble as a solo diver.

Often when people express to me their concern over solo diving, I advise them to go put in a few hundred dives, then come back and we'll talk about it. That's my advice to you as well. There's nothing wrong with solo diving ... but there's everything wrong with jumping into something without the experience and background to do it responsibly. At less than 50 dives, I don't think I've ever met anyone I'd feel comfortable recommending solo diving to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A person in training for a private pilots license can solo a single engine aircraft after 8 hours of instruction. I don't think solo diving after a good open water course, which should be a lot more than 8 hours, is any more dangerous than flying solo after 8 hours of instruction and is most likely less so.

The best way to justify solo diving to others is to not talk to others. Be true to yourself and do it for you, not for anyone else. Just do it.
Eric

I forgot to mention. I always discuss with someone about my plans to go diving such as location, what I plan to do, and time frame.

A person in training for a private pilots license can solo a single engine aircraft after 8 hours of instruction..

I wish you hadn't told me that. :shocked2:

I don't get any reaction either, then again I don't bring it up often. Not because I hide it, I just don't go telling people about my actions below water or topside. If I ever get that reaction I'll probably respond like Hocheynut or similar.

If you actually care to produce a response, there is a thread going on that can give you a good argument, not just for diving solo but in general to be more reliable on yourself for everything. Yes we live among people but why in the world would you expect anything from strangers? Haven't seen enough proof out there of people generally being rotten?
Title of the thread amuses me, "Why do you lie?" ha! it is such a naive question.... because that is what people do. Different motivations, who cares why? fact is people lie, so why would anyone trust an unknown?

Yes, I have read that thread. Also the one called the dark side of solo diving or something of the like. That one was a very good thread. I read the first 20+ pages of it and found that many of the reasons i had for wanting to dive solo in the future are shared by the people on this board

I wish you hadn't told me that. :shocked2:

Yep, my 17 year old daughter did it. I believe at least 40 flight hours were required for getting the license and a good bit of it is done solo.
I would say the danger was greater than someone doing a solo dive in the conditions they trained in right after getting an open water cert.
The danger of solo diving is greatly exaggerated.

I'll usually ask them which they believe is more dangerous: solo or checkouts with students. This has worked with everyone but my wife.

A person in training for a private pilots license can solo a single engine aircraft after 8 hours of instruction.
Yes, but are they permitted to fly at night or other adverse conditions? Isn't it true that there are significant restrictions placed on new pilots? Pilots are trained from the start to solo, where divers receive no training specific to solo diving in OW class and are taught to rely on a buddy for support.

You can't get here from there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom