Justifying solo diving to others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A great developmental aspect of solo is lying to oneself is far less likely.

where I dive most of the tec people dive solo regularly, no one really even thinks about it. We just show up to the quarry when we feel like going for a dive without making plans with other people. Sometimes if I run into someone I know and we had similar plans for the day I'll dive with them that day but for the most part the idea of "needing to find a buddy" isn't even a thought that runs across my mind.

Rec people sometimes kinda freak out about the idea but my explanation is that with what i'm doing/where i'm going, someone without similar training/experience is more likely to get me killed than going alone.

I'll usually ask them which they believe is more dangerous: solo or checkouts with students. This has worked with everyone but my wife.

Yes, but are they permitted to fly at night or other adverse conditions? Isn't it true that there are significant restrictions placed on new pilots? Pilots are trained from the start to solo, where divers receive no training specific to solo diving in OW class and are taught to rely on a buddy for support.

You can't get here from there.

No they aren't trained to solo they are trained to fly, just as divers are trained to dive. What "help or redundancy" does the single engine solo pilot depend on other than being trained to fly.

I said dive solo in the same conditions they were trained in for open water, not night dive, a deep dive or a dive outside of their training, just like a student pilot is allowed to fly solo in daylight VFR conditions and not at night in IFR conditions.

The problem I see with your argument, captain, is that divers aren't trained today as they were when you received your OW training. For the most part, they are not trained to dive ... they are trained to breathe underwater and survive until they learn how to dive. The learning takes place, for the most part, after they receive their certification.

Most divers you see in places like Cozumel these days aren't even capable of diving independently of a divemaster. They rely on someone else to check their gear, check their air, check their buddy ... hell, it takes most of their concentration just to hold themselves in position underwater (usually flailing arms and legs furiously) while trying to look at something.

People shouldn't even attempt solo diving until they can hold position without any more thought than they'd give to walking down a hallway ... or until they have trained themselves to look around and take note of their surroundings without losing their sense of direction or position ... or until they have adequate control and mental bandwidth to be able to do something simple, like clear a mask, take a compass heading, or shoot a bag, without sinking to the bottom on their knees.

Most people fresh out of OW today can't do any of those things ... and have no business even THINKING about solo diving until they've developed their basic skills to the point where they'd be capable of dealing with problems underwater.

Solo diving is really easy ... anyone can do it ... until something goes wrong. Then, you'd BETTER have the chops to deal with it without help, or about the best outcome one can hope for is that you don't forget to breathe as you're clawing your way to the surface ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I still love the one where you tell em I do have a buddy. He just pissed me off so I tied him to the anchor, platform, etc and left him. Or just tell them that the reason you dive solo is so you don't have to listen to the voices of people like them.

See, while i wish "freaking out" were an exaggeration, sadly it wasnt. I was at a dinner table with people (all non-divers, but most of which who know people who dive), and i mentioned to them i was interested in solo diving, and they literally did scream out "OHHHHH NONONONONONO DONT YOU DARE DO THAT!!!" and it wasnt even people i knew....

I also live in Oregon, and have had similar reactions. However, it it very common to see other Solo Divers at our South Jetty - many of them are hunting. When I get this reaction I use it to share my enthusiasm about diving and explain to them about "redundant air", and liability of "instant buddies", etc. Many who react are ignorant, some are not too smart, and some are just looking for trouble. I'm looking for intelligent ones who want to engage in an intelligent conversation about whatever. It's like eating fish - "eat the meat - don't choke on the bones". Don't get pulled in by ugly trolls.

My buddy and I (and we sometimes buddy/sometimes don't) dive year round - at least every other Friday, but at many times every week. This coming Friday (April 15th), I will be back in the water after 2 months out due to minor left knee arthroscopic surgery and some other leg/hip pain. My MD warned/did not forbid about solo now (because of this) and we are going to buddy dive. In this case, because of physical recovery issues, my buddy will help me with getting equipment over the rocks on our Jetty Dive. By the way, my decision about going with my buddy was made before my MD spoke - divers are responsible for their own selves and should not need someone "older and wiser telling me what to do". I will be back in the water solo soon, and will continue solo until - well until - until - this 59yr just can't quite (yet) get his brain around the fact that there will will be sometime (like around 85yrs old) that I'll have to hire a pretty little DM* to help me down to water and push me in! And I'll hold her hand if she gets scared. That's my idea of buddy diving.

*My Granddaughters will be 28 (and older) then - probably Instructors like my 25yr old son. I can hardly wait to get them certified (but the oldest is only 3yrs)!!!!

So, MrBendOR Diver - come out and join us sometime. PM me, if you'd like.

The problem I see with your argument, captain, is that divers aren't trained today as they were when you received your OW training. For the most part, they are not trained to dive ... they are trained to breathe underwater and survive until they learn how to dive. The learning takes place, for the most part, after they receive their certification.

Most divers you see in places like Cozumel these days aren't even capable of diving independently of a divemaster. They rely on someone else to check their gear, check their air, check their buddy ... hell, it takes most of their concentration just to hold themselves in position underwater (usually flailing arms and legs furiously) while trying to look at something.

People shouldn't even attempt solo diving until they can hold position without any more thought than they'd give to walking down a hallway ... or until they have trained themselves to look around and take note of their surroundings without losing their sense of direction or position ... or until they have adequate control and mental bandwidth to be able to do something simple, like clear a mask, take a compass heading, or shoot a bag, without sinking to the bottom on their knees.

Most people fresh out of OW today can't do any of those things ... and have no business even THINKING about solo diving until they've developed their basic skills to the point where they'd be capable of dealing with problems underwater.

Solo diving is really easy ... anyone can do it ... until something goes wrong. Then, you'd BETTER have the chops to deal with it without help, or about the best outcome one can hope for is that you don't forget to breathe as you're clawing your way to the surface ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, I agree with what you are saying, the problem is diver training not solo diving. Just as I said a "properly trained" open water dive should be capable of a solo dive in similar conditions. All divers do not receive bad training so a blanket "newly trained divers should not solo" is putting them all in the same box.
Not to mention some shouldn't be doing any kind of diving no matter what their training .

Bob, I agree with what you are saying, the problem is diver training not solo diving. Just as I said a "properly trained" open water dive should be capable of a solo dive in similar conditions. All divers do not receive bad training so a blanket "newly trained divers should not solo" is putting them all in the same box.
Not to mention some shouldn't be doing any kind of diving no matter what their training .

My blanket statement has little to do with training. It has to do with the fact that a lack of experience greatly increases one's chances for a bad outcome. First, because you don't know enough to anticipate problems and steer clear of them. Second, because you haven't yet had the time to develop your awareness properly ... or even know what to be looking out for. And third, because the greatest potential for panic occurs when someone encounters a problem that they don't know enough to see a solution for ... and a lack of experience will greatly increase your risk of not knowing what to do in an unexpected situation ... even though it may be far simpler than you think it is.

All of those factors don't guarantee that the new diver would not be suitable for solo ... there are no guarantees in scuba (except high prices) ... but what they do, when considered in combination with each other, is increase the risk factors to the point where I don't see the payback being worth the potential liability ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

when i first learned to dive there was a couple in the club who were instructors & who i respected to the point of being in awe of them. they disaproved of solo diving & would not even discuss they subject it was completley taboo.

this couple have become very good friends and outside the club environment where they are not instructors, just very experienced divers they are quite happy to not only discuss solo diving, but are experienced solo divers of many years. They just don't want to set examples to the dangerously over confident newbies.

i have to say i have been buddies with both of them many times over they years and thoroughly enjoyed their company:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom