KA-BAR USMC Fighting/Utility knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because:
Yellow handle (no hammer butt)...can't imagine cutting someone's hose with a yellow knife.
Light weight
Measurements are in cm (Not Mike approved)

I looked on the Aqualung website and the 12.5" long 7 inch bladed "Master" knife appears to be a standard item in their technicaldiving section. I suspect many techncial divers are cringing at the techncial association of the knife.

Now as a sometimes vintage diver, I am almost tempted as it would be the ultimate in double hose cutting and man eating shark stabbing technology.

A couple of years ago I was taking pictures of my eBay bound equipment. One of my sons (10 at the time) saw my first dive knife. It's a black handled, steel butted-hose cutting marvel (Voit or White Stag) and begged me not to sell it. "Dad, you mean you are not going to pass that down to me…you know, like a father to son thing." ….and to think, he has never even seen one episode of Sea Hunt. How could I even think of such a thing as selling his inheritance?

c

Okay, a couple of things. The humongous knife is very very cool.
But, seriously, unless you are pulling a James Bond...

I don't get the James Bond reference. Buford Pusser, maybe, but I don't see 007 carrying a big knife. He didn't drive a big car, but it was powerful, nimble and sophisticated. High tech. He didn't use a big gun; he was chided by a superior for favoring a .32 over a .380 because it fit better under his tux. I don't remember exactly what he carried in Thunderball, but I think it was about the size of that Ka-Bar. But that was just the standard size for a dive knife in those days.

Commander Sir James Bond, of the Royal Naval Reserve, would seem to be more likely to favor a Sykes-Fairbairn than a USMC-issue item.

So I went ahead and got a used dive knife from my LDS. It's stainless steel, smaller than a K-Bar and larger than a steak knife. I also included a picture of: the line cutter I wear on my left shoulder strap, the Dacor knife I just bought, a bad job of trying to make a dive knife out of a butcher (butchers cut steak, right?) knife (note too-short handle and surprisingly functional line hook), and the "steak knife" that came with my wife's DSS BP/W.

The modern adaptation of the knife as a tool instead of a weapon and as well that most divers today are twice a year pretty fishy vacation divers has acted to de-evolve the dive knife into a useless little sissy finger nail clipper.

Watch ebay for a USD Sea Hawk or similar. Also, do a search on ebay for the Tekna knife, a medium size double edge all stainless stiletto that is highly regarded and quite lethal if used as a weapon.

L to R, Tekna, Scuba Pro, Sea hawk, Vulcan:

DSCF0283.jpg

A modern reproduction of the Vulcan divers fighting knife may also be available--maybe.

N

Oh man, I am going to have to get that full collection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom