KA-BAR USMC Fighting/Utility knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Metrosexual is a neologism of the 2000s generally applied to heterosexual men with a strong concern for their appearance, or whose lifestyles display attributes stereotypically attributed to gay men.

Gee and all this time I thought it meant someone who was overly attached to their Geo Metro because it gets 43 miles to the gallon with its 3-cylinder engine. I learn to much reading this board. Could have saved a fortune on college tuition had this thing been around 30 years ago. :)

As to the point about knives, refer to my earlier post. Nothing is as hard on a diver's choice of equipment as another diver.

I am not sure about the steaknife. A real confident diver would use a butterknife...

About the only thing a flexible butterknife is good for is scallops and spreading butter or mayo.

Stick your Ab iron to hold shell open. Carefully scrape adductor muscle from shell being careful to not cut in half or it counts as 2. Enjoy!

I wear lime green open heel fins, single pane mask with a purge, flex snorkel with purge valves and a thick SCUBA wetsuit while freediving. No one has made it hard on me. Maybe an INTERNET diver would.

Yeah, right. Being a Dork Diver has nothing to do with manliness! :shakehead:

The only dorks I am aware of that carry big knives are those plump guys in kilts that hang out at Renaissance festivals with swords. You, however, may be the exception to the rule.

Since this thread has already gone to hell and the OP has pretty much got the answer he was looking for. Let me ask this asenine question to you knife gurus! I happen to have a Titanium Benchmade butterfly knife and wondered. . . Has anyone ever tried flipping one of these open with one hand while on a dive?

Thank goodness the OP decided against using his KA-Bar as a dive knife. While it would certainly be high on the cool factor, if he lost it, it would be tragic. I usually advise divers (that ask) not to dive with a knife or watch you can not afford to lose- not because I have ever lost one, but I have found three. While one could find another KA-Bar it would just not be proper to lose one to the sea or rust.

How did I know that Nemrod would have an assortment of cool knives?

Plenty of good deals on eBay for a diver's knife:
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=scuba+knife&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Now before this gets out of hand (or is it already too late for that?)...

First let me say that I really don't want to get into an argument with you, Nemrod, because I have read a lot of your posts, and I have a lot of respect for you. I don't like it when you refer to "my gurus" because that implies that I just swallow up any hogwash without thinking, and I'll bet that most people who know me would not characterize me that way.

etc and etc------:wink:

Seventh, if one of the reasons the OP wants to use his Ka-Bar is that he doesn't want to buy another knife, then the "20 to 50 dollar" Ebay Tekna (which I bet is a pretty darn good knife, by the way) MAY be more than he wants to spend. Which may or may not be irrelevant, because it may be impossible to get a decent dive knife for less. Most dive shops have a bunch of old used dive knifes for pretty cheap.

And besides, I DID say that I was shopping for a bigger knife! Sheesh!

Hey, I was just messing with you, always loved kicking the anthills :lotsalove:. No worries mate, your knife is fine and actually it sounds like a good idea for an inexpensive back up knife. Just don't get into any underwater pumpkin fights cuz you will loose. :wink:

N

Yeah, don't worry Sambolino, Nemrod's bark is worst than his bite...as long as it's not about DIR or vintage dive gear. :wink:

I noted yesterday in a dive shop that shall remain nameless that they were selling new Aqulung versions of US Diver's old nearly foot long dive knives. Very retro. I and my technical diving buddy did lots of discreet eye rolling but one of the DM's there said it saved an entire boat dive once as he was able to use it to drag himself in the sand toward the wreck in a strong current to set the hook. So I guess there may be one legitamate purpose.

I also noticed in general that largish leg mounted dive knives seemed to be popular in the area overall.

You guys just don't get it! :shakehead:

You get TWO of those monster puppies and strap them to your ankles. They take the place of ankle weights for your drysuit. Now you have a reason to carry the knife (knives) you always wanted to carry! AND you are streamlining your inventory!

Additionally, if you experience strong current on the bottom, you'll have one for each hand! AND everyone knows you'll look really cool if you can learn to sharpen them by striking them one against the other like they do at those cool Japanese restaurants! :D

*The sharpening technique should be performed BEFORE entering the water (the friction which is what does the actual sharpening will be reduced in the water - it has nothing to do with diver safety), but AFTER leaving port! :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom