Kansas man dies diving Bonne Terre

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were in Bonne Terre in June of last year. The dive leaders were excellent, but the safety diver following was AOW and had just
hired on the weekend before. Our group had 14 divers on the first trail, which I thought was too many for two leaders and a safety diver. The first trails were as described, well lit and open to the surface except for a couple of short swim-throughs. The trip up and down the stairs was quite strenuous, especially the first and last time when you are toting all your gear.

Both our leader and safety diver were full cave divers and fully equipped. We had a husband-wife team and the wife was leading and the husband was the safety diver. Both were very capable and skilled. We had a group of 8, which seemed enough.

The "guides" told us that in order to lead the tours, a full cave diver had to do the trails countless times over months and be able to navigate them flawlessly before ever being allowed to lead groups. They didn't say what the requirements were for the safety diver, but since our safety diver was a full cave diver, I didn't question it. AOW doesn't sound right, though to be a safety diver. That may explain why they had 3 leaders in your group, besides more customers - maybe in case of splitting. On one of our dives, one of the divers suddenly wanted to leave and the safety diver signalled the leader and he and that diver left together and went back. This left us with only the leader in front. My buddy (an instructor) and I were at the back.

There were a couple of short swim-throughs and we were told in advance that we could either go through if we were comfortable or around.

The trips up and down those stairs were big ones. It was also cold and clammy in the mine. I was wearing a wetsuit and never warmed up between dives. My visit was before they got a heated room or whatever they have now, so it must be more pleasant now.

So the AOW Safety Diver's post was removed without a trace. Vanished and his post count reduced back to one post. Hmm...

This is the latest thing I've seen. Anyone have anything else?
Kansas man dies at Bonne Terre Mines - KFVS12 News & Weather Cape Girardeau, Carbondale, Poplar Bluff

BONNE TERRE, MO (KFVS) - A 40-year-old Kansas man is dead after diving into the water Saturday afternoon at Bonne Terre Mines.

According to Bonne Terre Police Chief Doug Calvert, the man dove into the water and had some sort of medical problem under the water.

Acting coroner Lt. Greg Armstrong is investigating the incident.

Chief Calvert says he doesn't suspect foul play. Authorities were determining if his gear was a determining factor in his death.

Bonne Terre is located in St. Francois County, Mo.

So the AOW Safety Diver's post was removed without a trace. Vanished and his post count reduced back to one post. Hmm...

In my opinion: neither Doug, nor Doug's attorneys, are likely to permit any Bonne Terre staff member to speak publicly on the matter. I suspect that rgeorge9260 got an earful - at the very least.

I'll be interested in the Coroner's report when it comes out. I've seen a lot of unfit (grossly overweight) divers - at Bonne Terre Mine - and just about any other place I dive. My initial thought was a medical event / emergency that was fatal underwater. But the obit made this guy sound pretty active - and he was relatively young.

The Coroner's report should shed some light - if it's released.

A couple of days ago I contacted the editor of the Wichita Eagle asking why there was not more coverage on the death of William Patton. They published an article this morning that does not provide much more information.

His sister said he was very outdoorsy and had dived off the Florida Keys, the Cayman Islands, even submerged caves in old mines. She further added he was very experienced and doing what he loved. The family otherwise has few details about what transpired.

Surprised? :popcorn:

I was diving at Bonne Terre that day when this happended. He was on the 1st trail, 1st dive of the day. He was in a group of 10-13 divers. This was my second visit so my boyfreind and I were doing the next three trails. Very very sad day.

-amy

Some friends of mine were diving there the same day. This is exactly what they told me as well.

Hum...I would really like to know what happened to him. This is sad. :(

I had some big scares at the mine the time I went there. My friend got separated from the group and we didn't know where she was. Everything was fine she had just surfaced accidentally, but I was so scared during the time we were searching for her. Another friend of mine had some bad buoyancy problems and was sinking a lot because he wasn't used to that much neoprene or weight on.

Hum...I would really like to know what happened to him. This is sad. :(

I had some big scares at the mine the time I went there. My friend got separated from the group and we didn't know where she was. Everything was fine she had just surfaced accidentally, but I was so scared during the time we were searching for her. Another friend of mine had some bad buoyancy problems and was sinking a lot because he wasn't used to that much neoprene or weight on.

Wow, those were some unpleasant issues. With the visibility being mostly 75 feet and one trail being 30 feet according to my logs, I'm sure the visibility must have been very good while you were there. It's a wonder that no one saw your friend ascending.

It seems that both issues were buoyancy issues which seemingly should have been sorted out with the weighting check and check-out dive on the first dive.

Were you in a very large group? What was your setup regarding full cave divers and other safety divers? Just wondering.

It is surprising that preliminary information has not come out yet about the death...

Not surprising to those of us who have looked into different fatalities involving shops or operations. Information in some of these cases is as scarce as hen's teeth. Some of it is due to liablility and legal issues. Another part that should not be is PR. Having someone die on your site, boat, resort, etc is not good for business. Unfortunately after the legal stuff is done with it is still not easy to get details. Especially in places where practices involving new divers and the way they are led or allowed to dive is questionable when it comes to safe diving practices as they are viewed by some.

Taking OW divers into any kind of overhead, into cold water for the first time, not enforcing proper buddy procedures, beyond recommended depths, etc. Practices that are allowed to take place and a blind eye turned to by the agencies that sometimes result in dead divers seem to have an acceptable level of occurrence since no action is taken and no public light shone on them.

Back
Top Bottom