Kayak Diving Long Island NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich Keller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have found kayak diving can get me to a lot of beach sites on Long Island that can not be reached by land. I will be adding kayak launch sites to this blog and listing locations within a 5 mile paddle from that site. If you know of any places to put in a kayak on Long Island please let me know and I will add them to the list. All GPS numbers are approximate. Some of these locations I have not been back to in years and it may no longer be legal to park or enter the water at some of these sites. In the case of the town beaches and ramps it is usually possible to get a nonresident day pass to use that location.
Huntington Harbor, West Shore Rd, N40 53 42 W073 25 30. From here you can reach all of Northport Bay, Huntington Bay out to the tip of Eatons Neck and about 3/4 of the north facing shore of Lloyds Neck. Lloyds Neck was a great place for lobster before the die off almost 10 years ago. Target Rock is at the north east side of Lloyd Neck and I have found artifacts there dating back to the late 1700s. The tip of Eatons Neck was good for lobster too as well as spear fishing.
Cold Spring Harbor, Harbor Rd, N40 52 02 W073 27 44. From here you can reach all of Cold Spring Harbor out to the north tip of Center Island and about 3/4 of the way up the west side of Lloyds Neck. You can also reach the lower part of Oyster Bay. The tip of Center Island was good for lobster.
Centerport Harbor, Coolidge Dr, N40 53 34 W073 22 28. From here you can reach all of Centerport Harbor and Northport Bay. You need to time this right though as at low tide you would be crossing a mud flat.
Northport Harbor, Scudder Beach off Woodbine Ave, N40 53 36 W073 21 25. From here you can reach all of Northport Harbor and Bay.
Ramp at LIPA power station, off Eatons Neck Rd, N40 55 25 W073 20 47. From here you can reach west to the tip of Eatons Neck and east as far as Sunken Meadow State Park. The west side of this site is good for spear fishing and lobster once you get into the rocky areas starting about half way from the ramp to the point of Eatons Neck. I have not done much diving on the east side of this site and can not tell you much about it.
Nissequoge River, Old Dock Rd, N40 54 18 W073 13 53. This is a Smithtown ramp so you will need a day pass to use this site. From here you can go west as far as Crab Meadow Beach and east as far as the mouth of Stony Brook Harbor in the Long Island Sound. You can also go up the river as far as Rt. 25 in Smithtown though I do not know of any good places to dive in the river itself it does make a good kayak day trip.
I will be adding more later but what is here so far covers the shore line from the tip of Center Island in the west to the mouth of Stony Brook Harbor in the east and all the bays and harbors that lie between.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom