Kayak Lobster Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orlando Eric

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
HOW DO YOU STOW YOUR CAUGHT CATCH?

I am making my maiden (yak dive)lobster season off my yak this year. After being schooled by Down4Fun in wreck penetrations at ITK IV I am over myself and seeking advice. (That girls got mad skillz)

I have rigged and re-rigged my yak in my backyard and think the HomeDepot bucket with lid and frozen water bottles is the way to go.

I hope to catch the big ones whereas a playmate cooler will not do. I have a nice 6" hatch in the rear of my Trident Prowler but can not figure a way to set up a bin there for the bugs.

Any advice from the "been there, done that" crowd is appreciated by all..

I know that they have fish catch bags for hatches. You could jury rig one with a couple of heavy duty garbage bags (double them up) and ice.

Caught a lobster for the first time the other day at Bathtub in 5' of water- While still on the snare, I opened the front hatch and tossed him right in. Might be dangerious in rough conditions but it worked...

Caught a lobster for the first time via kayak the other day at Bathtub in 5' of water- While still on the snare, I opened the front hatch and tossed him right in. Might be dangerous in rough conditions but it worked

I do the same, mesh bag up on the bow, strapped in. It's not that long of a paddle back to shore, so they are fine until I beach the yak and run the bugs up to the cooler waiting in the car.

Storing lobsters in your kayak is much too difficult and dangerous - in order to assist I'll let you store them all in mine. :wink:

Good question you posted that I hadn't thought of but eventually would have needed some ideas.. Think I'll try the suggestion of a mesh bag up on the back section - the "scratch, scratch, scratch" sound of them inside the hull would get to me after a while..

Well come to think of it Fort Pierce lobsters will not fit in the hatches. We tie they tow line around the tail jump back on the yak for a Nantucket boat ride...

Moby Dick

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom