Keep Alan Knappenburger in your thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I posted earlier on the other thread. Thanks for posting the update on Alan and the boys, I've been thinking about them all afternoon. I'll keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

Wow! I am still torn up about this. Black ice should be illegal.

I am still praying for Alan, Bonnie and family for a speedy and full recovery.

Just as a thought, I doubt we should expect them to be able to access scubaboard directly in any convenient way. But, I bet some enterprising Scubaboarder could print a hard copy of all of these comments and drop 'em in an overnight FedEx envelope :wink:

This is horrible news but I'm thankful to God that he and his sons are alive!

Thoughts and prayers for the family.

Thank you Frank for getting in touch and keeping us informed. There are many here who want to help any way we can, even if it's to chip in for what's needed far away. If anyone knows an address where we can send cards, care packages, flowers, etc. please post it here.

While this is hard to take in, I'm grateful they have a chance to keep living with us. I pray they all make a full recovery.

Last edited:
Also praying for Alan and his sons. I hope he knows how much his input on so many subjects has been appreciated, and will be sorely missed until he can be back on the board.

I have a mailing address for Alan and will gladly print these comments and send them. I am tried to contact his family without success.

He and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I will post if I contact the family and find out any more about their needs during this difficult time.

Robert

This is horrible news but I'm thankful to God that he and his sons are alive!

Thoughts and prayers for the family.

Thank you Frank for getting in touch and keeping us informed. There are many here who want to help any way we can, even if it's to chip in for what's needed far away. If anyone knows an address where we can send cards, care packages, flowers, etc. please post it here.

While this is hard to take in, I'm grateful they have a chance to keep living with us. I pray they all make a full recovery.

I think a lot of us want to do something and I bet pretty soon we'll figure out what that something is. We'll DITRW ( do it the right way )
All of this will be hard on them money wise. Even with Insurance and all there are money things that just knock you down with a hospital stay. I'd say that.. " Pretty Soon " lets see what "really" will help them out and do what we can about it.

"When I call Alan on the phone the first thing right off the bat I always ask is,
" hey... I need a large Pizza... do ya'll deliver?"

Let's send some pizzas to the hospital for him, the family and the medical staff tending to him....

Thanks for keeping us informed. Maybe a fund should be established at his local bank for financial contributions.

I kept hoping all day that whoever started the original thread had gotten Alan confused with the accident TXIceDiver had in Iowa last month. I can't begin to explain how sorry I am to find out the rumor of Alan and his sons' accident is true. I don't know a more stand up guy than Alan and I know some dang fine individuals...never a bad word to say about anyone...devoted to his family. My prayers are with him and his family and wishing him a speedy recovery.

Frank, if you find out his hospital room number I'd sure like to send him something to cheer him up. Please PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting it publicly.

JohnA

I talked with Alan's wife , Bonnie today.
My wife ( the nurse) tracked down which hospital he was in.

He is banged up and down inside and out , top to bottom :shakehead:

On Sunday, His son Mark was driving and hit some black ice coming out of a McDonalds and lost control and went into the opposite lane where they hit a large SUV. The brunt of the impact went to Alan in the passenger seat. His son Joseph was in the back seat and he is messed up too. Marc had a concussion but was released.
They had to care flight Alan to St. Mary's in Rochester, Minnesota. ( that's a Mayo Clinic)

Bonnie has family pretty close to there (60 miles). She flew up on Monday.

Lets see...Alan is in ICU still due to : Concussion, fractured pelvis, 4 broken ribs on the right side and one on the left, collapsed lung/s, right shoulder is messed up ligaments tendons fractures too I think, His liver was split, I know there was more but that is as much as I remember. You know he has got to be cut up and black , blue and shades of green too. His son has a list of injuries too.
Alan has chest tubes in him and has short term memory problems but he is getting better.
They may be able to remove the tubes and move him out of ICU within the next day or so.

Knowing that Alan is in such a bad condition does not make this easier. I am truly devastated by the news of his condition. I just keep thinking about his unrelenting care and time he takes with his family. I hope we here some better news over the next few days. I am 100% behind a donation account for his help. They will incur a lot of bills with travel, car, home care, etc. I don't donate to a lot of charities just for this reason, Charity starts at home and I wil do whatever it takes to get him back on his feet, financially and personally. We can all make this happen. We are the TSD and it's time to make our unity count with one of our own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom