Keep Alan Knappenburger in your thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knowing that Alan is in such a bad condition does not make this easier. I am truly devastated by the news of his condition. I just keep thinking about his unrelenting care and time he takes with his family. I hope we here some better news over the next few days. I am 100% behind a donation account for his help. They will incur a lot of bills with travel, car, home care, etc. I don't donate to a lot of charities just for this reason, Charity starts at home and I wil do whatever it takes to get him back on his feet, financially and personally. We can all make this happen. We are the TSD and it's time to make our unity count with one of our own.

I'm with Debraw on this. We need to get a method to where people can donate. It's what will help their family the most right now.

The easiest thing I can think of is a Paypal account. I have never opened an account at a bank, maybe it woudl be easier at the bank he does business with? Has anyone ever done this. I don't mind taking care of it I just want a consensus on what to do, PayPal or bank account at a local insititution?

The easiest thing I can think of is a Paypal account. I have never opened an account at a bank, maybe it woudl be easier at the bank he does business with? Has anyone ever done this. I don't mind taking care of it I just want a consensus on what to do, PayPal or bank account at a local insititution?

Paypal is just a middle man between a bank and merchant/buyer. You will have to have a bank account to use paypal. It maybe easier to utilize an institution that specializes in these situations. Maybe get with Alan's wife to set up a paypal account that's linked directly to their bank account?

Paypal is just a middle man between a bank and merchant/buyer. You will have to have a bank account to use paypal. It maybe easier to utilize an institution that specializes in these situations. Maybe get with Alan's wife to set up a paypal account that's linked directly to their bank account?

Paypal would work. So would an old fashioned check put in the mail.

I've been away from the computer all day and I'm just now seeing this. This is absolutely horrible. Alan is a very good friend and one of my favorite dive buddies. I'm in total shock. All my thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. :depressed:

I am with Debraw. Debraw, I will suggest the following:
1) Get in touch with Bonnie. Frank has the contact number. Find out what bank they would like to use to establish a fund. Failing that,
2) Get in touch with Alan's church. Chances are they are already attempting to establish a bank fund. Failing that,
3) Let's just pick a bank and establish a fund.

Debra, I empower you. Let's see what the rest of the Swamp has to say.

I'm with you, Frank- was difficult to work today after Foo2 texted me to let me know about Alan. Everyone knows what a great friend he is to others, the way he welcomes Swampdivers to the board and the swamp, annd helps everyone to be their best. I agree that we could help them financially, as travel and medical expenses rack up very quickly.

Alan, ol' dive buddy, we all love you and are praying for the full recovery of all family members involved. We want you back on that dancing chair as soon as possible! Frank, do Mike and Thomas know about this?

Folks, I have another idea. I agree that we should do whatever we can to meet immediate needs, but we could also think about some longer range goals. Every year, there is an event at CSSP called Dive From the Heart, benefitting DFW area children's hospitals. There are donated prizes, a treasure hunt, etc...
Do ya'll think we could organize a spring event for Alan along the same lines? If we do it right, we could raise a good sum that could go for the family's needs and medical bills.

Not to intrude - just wanted to share my experience in raising funds to maybe help y'all a lil bit. Money is always a necessity. It goes a long way to cover immediate bills that may take insurance a while to cover. Things like the electric bill, car payment, and such. Events are great but you usually end up with some overhead and they take time to put together. Opening a fund now where people can send a PayPal donation is the best, at least in my experience. For those that would like to send a check they can send them to the bank or straight to his wife. :idk:

My thoughts and prayers and energy to Alan and family for a miracle healing and recovery. This is shocking news. I am out of town until next week and no email after tomorrow, keep me posted to the details when the fund is set up. Excellent idea.

I sure hope the family is not alone in WI.

Shawn O'Shea

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom