Keep reminding people: Don't rent scooters and don't dive without DAN accident insurance!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was that Canadian tech diver a few years ago who had let his DAN insurance lapse. Had a big trip to Ireland planned to dive a deep wreck. Fiancé kept at him to renew. He didn’t. He got bent very badly. Paralyzed. His treatment in the Irish hospital was no cost to him, I believe, but they had to do a GoFundMe to get him back to Canada.

There was that Canadian tech diver a few years ago who had let his DAN insurance lap. Had a big trip to Ireland planned to dive a deep wreck. Fiancé kept at him to renew. He didn’t. He got bent very badly. Paralyzed. His treatment in the Irish hospital was no cost to him, I believe, but they had to do a GoFundMe to get him back to Canada.
Yeah, I contributed to that one. He knew better, but I felt sorry for her stuck over there after she went to be with him until she could take him home. I hope that he got better, but it didn't sound good.

I nag my daughter about trip insurance when she plans a cruise. She got the DAN trip insurance for last week's voyage for her, her mom, and my granddaughter. Then I learned that she only took the cheapest plan. Grr. Fortunately they didn't need it.

Yikes, at least you came up with a good story. Did you win said bar fight? Hope the diving was good after all that!
In my fictitious account, yes indeed, I won the bar fight!:wink: Then I would 'fess up and tell the truthful version.

The diving was great--even the DM's commented that my bruising was healing nicely.

That incident was many trips ago........it has been a pleasure to return to Coz many times since.

I have to say that renting a couple of scooters while I'm on Little Cayman is awesome and totally fun. Little Cayman Beach Resort makes it so simple and easy and there is litterally no way to get lost or in trouble on that island in my opinion. . Bring an ice chest and go exploring via scooter during off gassing time.. Little Cayman is the perfect place to rent a scooter and do some exploring. Just make sure to watch out for the special iguanas.
But of course, like any other story that describes an incident free experience, it doesn't mean that you did not incur risk. No one is saying that renting a scooter in Cozumel means certain death, only that doing so exposes you to risk that you might not have taken into account.

But of course, like any other story that describes an incident free experience, it doesn't mean that you did not incur risk. No one is saying that renting a scooter in Cozumel means certain death, only that doing so exposes you to risk that you might not have taken into account.
I totally agree.... Anyone who hops on a scooter ANYWHERE and doesn't take into account the potential risks......should not be hopping onto a scooter.....

I totally agree.... Anyone who hops on a scooter ANYWHERE and doesn't take into account the potential risks......should not be hopping onto a scooter.....
One thing that people who rent scooters may not be aware of is that with those tiny wheels, if you run over a pile of sand over pavement in the middle of a turn when you are going fast it can cause you to lose control. That happened to my brother; he got dumped on the shoulder and the scooter got launched into a roadside ditch. I was right behind him on another scooter and nearly ran him over. He had to go to the ER to get stitched up and we had to pay for the damage to the scooter.

We refer to the place where it happened as Jimy's Curve (cue the old Jan and Dean song). It's funny now but it wasn't at the time. It was his second Cozumel rented scooter accident; in his first one he collided with a taxi, but in that one he was not injured.

You must be the leading expert in Cozumel since you've rented them all over the world - we all stand corrected
Please do not dump attitude or try to assert superiority over others, not here.

People can use their own judgements, good points have been brought up.

Mainly,

Scooters are not the devil.

Do not operate intoxicated.

Operator should have a motorcycle endorsement and be familiar with riding a motor bike in a city.

Operator must preform a very strict inspection on the scooter before agreeing to rent ( your motorcycle operating training will have provided you with strict guidelines)

Wear a helmet, pants and shoes. Absolutely do NOT wear sandals.

Maintain awareness, be free from distraction.

Have good insurance.

Play stupid games, win stupid prises!

Play by the rules and a motorbike can be very enjoyable and safe. You can feel the air on your face even with a mask on, but i certainly recommend throwing those away, in a recycle bin of course. Breath in that fresh air and live a little!

There was that Canadian tech diver a few years ago who had let his DAN insurance lapse. Had a big trip to Ireland planned to dive a deep wreck. Fiancé kept at him to renew. He didn’t. He got bent very badly. Paralyzed. His treatment in the Irish hospital was no cost to him, I believe, but they had to do a GoFundMe to get him back to Canada.
Holy crap. Did he ever recover from it? That’s horrible. :(

Please do not dump attitude or try to assert superiority over others, not here.

People can use their own judgements, good points have been brought up.

Mainly,

Scooters are not the devil.

Do not operate intoxicated.

Operator should have a motorcycle endorsement and be familiar with riding a motor bike in a city.

Operator must preform a very strict inspection on the scooter before agreeing to rent ( your motorcycle operating training will have provided you with strict guidelines)

Wear a helmet, pants and shoes. Absolutely do NOT wear sandals.

Maintain awareness, be free from distraction.

Have good insurance.

Play stupid games, win stupid prises!

Play by the rules and a motorbike can be very enjoyable and safe. You can feel the air on your face even with a mask on, but i certainly recommend throwing those away, in a recycle bin of course. Breath in that fresh air and live a little!
Yep! Everything has risks. Accidents are mainly due to operator error, not the equipment itself. Some things get a bad rep but there’s nothing inherently wrong with them unless you do something stupid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom