Keep reminding people: Don't rent scooters and don't dive without DAN accident insurance!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True, people shouldn’t walk in general. They could fall.
They could! i would bet the likelihood of a moto accident on 30 or anywhere on the island is far greater then taking a tumble. Go ahead rent a moto.

They could! i would bet the likelihood of a moto accident on 30 or anywhere on the island is far greater then taking a tumble. Go ahead rent a moto.
I bet far more people trip daily. Injuries probably aren’t as bad on average.

I bet far more people trip daily. Injuries probably aren’t as bad on average.
most likely not with the exception of the guy that fell on 30 tonight closing the street to traffic and getting carted away in an ambulance. I would say that most moto accidents require more attention than the average tripper! 🤣.

most likely not with the exception of the guy that fell on 30 tonight closing the street to traffic and getting carted away in an ambulance. I would say that most moto accidents require more attention than the average tripper! 🤣.
Leading Causes and Statistics for Traumatic Brain Injuries
  • Falls: 40.5%
  • Motor vehicle-traffic crashes: 14.3%
  • Struck by/against events (includes recreation-related events): 15.5%
  • Assaults: 10.7%
  • Unknown: 19.0%

Leading Causes and Statistics for Traumatic Brain Injuries
  • Falls: 40.5%
  • Motor vehicle-traffic crashes: 14.3%
  • Struck by/against events (includes recreation-related events): 15.5%
  • Assaults: 10.7%
  • Unknown: 19.0%
In Cozumel? CDC statistics! 😂
I lived in New York prior to moving to Cozumel. Thinking those statistics would apply there rather than here.
Like I have said before, go ride a moto. You know what is best for you!

Please do not dump attitude or try to assert superiority over others, not here.

People can use their own judgements, good points have been brought up.

Mainly,

Scooters are not the devil.

Do not operate intoxicated.

Operator should have a motorcycle endorsement and be familiar with riding a motor bike in a city.

Operator must preform a very strict inspection on the scooter before agreeing to rent ( your motorcycle operating training will have provided you with strict guidelines)

Wear a helmet, pants and shoes. Absolutely do NOT wear sandals.

Maintain awareness, be free from distraction.

Have good insurance.

Play stupid games, win stupid prises!

Play by the rules and a motorbike can be very enjoyable and safe. You can feel the air on your face even with a mask on, but i certainly recommend throwing those away, in a recycle bin of course. Breath in that fresh air and live a little!
This just makes me laugh. I'm guessing you haven't been to the island yet? I was not asserting superiority, however, I was replying to a post that did exactly that.

Yes, people have their own opinions, judgments, values, etc. - just as you do, and just as I do. I do speak from 20 years living full time on the island, witnessing scooter accidents DAILY, having to assist many divers through the years who did not heed the warnings because "they've been riding motorcycles for decades" or "I've rented scooters all over the world" and had terrible accidents and consequences.

For the record, I owned scooters in addition to my car the entire time I lived on the island. I rode sometimes for fun, sometimes to zip around and get errands done faster, sometimes because I knew parking was an issue where I was going. I had a few accidents myself, fortunately nothing major. There did come a time in the last few years I decided to give up the scooter because I had seen too much and to me, it was no longer worth it - that was my personal values and judgment kicking in. I had a car and felt much safer in it for a variety of reasons.

SO sure, just about anyone can rent a scooter on the island, but heed the warnings and rent with informed consent.

"Operator must preform a very strict inspection on the scooter before agreeing to rent ( your motorcycle operating training will have provided you with strict guidelines)"

To this point, do not expect that any scooter you rent on the island will pass inspection, unless it is literally brand new. The maintenance and upkeep on these is atrocious. Remember, you are not in the USA anymore and the rules are different.

Wear a helmet, pants and shoes. Absolutely do NOT wear sandals.

Agreed, AND you will see idiots with no shirts, flip flops or barefooted, and bathing suits more often than not.

Maintain awareness, be free from distraction.

This was the giveaway that you probably haven't been to the island yet.

Have good insurance.

This won't help you much with a scooter rental or hospital bills. Your insurance may reimburse you for out of network medical costs, but don't expect the Mexican hospital to file a claim for you. You won't be leaving the hospital until your bill is paid in full.

In Cozumel? CDC statistics! 😂
I lived in New York prior to moving to Cozumel. Thinking those statistics would apply there rather than here.
Like I have said before, go ride a moto. You know what is best for you!
I doubt it is much different in Coz than anywhere else. People spend a lot more time walking than driving motos. As for me, not a chance of me renting a moto in Coz or anywhere else. I agree that they are death traps. For tourists because they have little experience, for residents because they have lots of exposure.

But, I choose to do things that have risks that others would not accept.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom