Keeping bugs alive topside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefseal

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone know how long lobsters will keep out of water before can cook them?

Once out, what's best way to keep them frisky the longest?

Cooler on Ice, with wet seawead??

In boat, will salt water bait well do trick? Won't they run out of oxygen in water though?

I knew that after a while, the bleed or something or the gastric juices in guts start to leak and wreck meat or something.

reefseal:

In boat, will salt water bait well do trick? Won't they run out of oxygen in water though?

I knew that after a while, the bleed or something or the gastric juices in guts start to leak and wreck meat or something.

I would like to see what people have to say about this too. What I have found to work is keeping them in the ocean for as long as possible as step 1. While we are stowing gear on the boat my catch bag is locked, tied to the side of the boat, and submerged. Then they go straight into the biggest cooler I have available (to hold the most amount of sea water). The more water the longer they will live. I don't think seaweed helps when you can transport them in salt water. If they are stowed in a bag without water I'm sure the seaweed helps keep them cool a bit.

--Matt

put them in a paperbag, and keep them cold with icepacks or a refrigerator. (dont use ice... the fresh water can kill them and seaweed just makes a mess)

they should be good for 48 hours (if kept cold), but the sooner you cook them the better.

reefseal:

Yes, Ice packs. Good point. I'm looking for how long I have until I get hom before I can get them in fridge or cook them.

Also, I've heard of people bringing home sea water to boil the lobsters in. Supposed to have different taste? Anyone ever do this?

i'd say you have no more than 48 hours before you have to cook them; as long as they are kept cold.

i've heard of using sea water, but i've never done it. besides; they've been marinating in the ocean for years. :D

here are my 2 favorite ways to eat lobster:
1: bring 4-5 inches of water, teaspoon of salt, 1 can of beer to a boil. add lobster and boil for 10-11 minutes. bon appetite!

2: lay em right on the grill; shell and all. rotate every 5 minutes or so for 25-30 minutes, keeping the lid closed during rotations.

i swear they are more tender on the grill than any other way i've eaten lobster.

you can thank me later :wink:

reefseal:
Yes, Ice packs. Good point. I'm looking for how long I have until I get hom before I can get them in fridge or cook them.

Also, I've heard of people bringing home sea water to boil the lobsters in. Supposed to have different taste? Anyone ever do this?

How hot should the grille be?

reefseal:

I haven't tried to keep lobster alive out of water but I have done thousands of shrimp. The live well will work but the more bugs you put, the more water you have to flow through it. I would say up to 100% exchange every 20 minutes or so. In your cool water I would guess they will live for 2 days like that....maybe more. Watch if they molt though. MOst lobster species are very cannibalistic.
Wet seaweed may work too. People ship live panaeus Japanicusin wet saw dust for over 24 hours from Hawaii to super high price restaurants in Tokyo. As long as the gills stay wet they live. But in any case, oxygen will be the first factor that will kill them. After that it's NH3, or ammonia buildup.

aquageek: normal grill temp is fine... w/e you're using for your dogs and burgers or w/e.

obviously if it's a cool grill it will take longer, and visa versa for a hot grill.

Stick 'em in a paper bag and put them in the fridge. Whatever you do, don't put them on *ice*. The fresh water kills them real quick.

I've kept lobsters in the fridge for a few days. They are pretty hardy as long as they are cool and not wet with fresh water.

Band them first, or else you may have a hard time determining whose claws are whose.

I hang the Catch bag in the water at the dock and they stay in the bag for the half hour ride home. I sometimes leave them in the fridge overnight (in the vegtable tray) and they are always still kicking the next night for dinner.

Back
Top Bottom