keeping strobe/light battery in good shape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimmy71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all. I got a new SOlA 1200 light from light and motion. I love the light and it is crazy bright and a wonderful size. Any light without user replaceable batteries scare me so i am trying to make sure the battery lasts as long as possible.

I know it has a li-ion battery. I have read some guides on how to care for those battery types. I was in the practice of leaving the light on until it dies once a week and then fully recharging. I am pretty sure that is not good now. Should I drain it 50% and recharge? Any advice?
thanks guys

Hi, I own a Fami super ledium torch. Battery is li-ion. The user guide advise to recharge the battery at least every 60 days if the torch is not used, to avoid over discharge and damage in the batteri.
I have often forgot to turn it on at the end of the dive so the battery get fully discharged. It dont seem to affect the capacity of the battery

My understanding is that you should store Li-ion batteries fully charged and every month or so take them out an run them down 15 to 20% then recharge. Make sure you run them to keep the batteries optimal. I also believe that you could probably change the batteries out yourself if they ever die
Bill

Do a Google search on the care of Li-ion batteries. There is plenty of information out there. If you have a smart charger, you can leave the battery connected to the charger. The smart charger will properly maintain your battery.

My understanding is that once a Li-Ion battery reaches its charge voltage (4.x V) then the charger should stop pushing current to the device so storing it plugged in should be OK, and I leave mine plugged in at home, but if you don't want to do that at least charge them up fully before putting them away. If you unscrew the lens from the front of the SOLA you can take out the battery pack and I am quite sure that as the patent guys say "a person skilled in the art" could easily replace batteries.
Bill

I Have always wondered about the chargers. I know they will not "overcharge" but i wonder if they will trickle charge while plugged in. I have many electronics that does not seem to stay charged if you leave them plugged in as the charger is not "smart"

Hmmm, i had not thought about about self replacement of the battery. I have not problems with technical things like that. i have changed all my own batteries with apple products. That being said, I do not take my Iphone underwater. It did not occur to me that the lens was just screwed on. I would to see a video/pics of it being done on one of the newer units. I guess when the battery poops out i will give it a try. That would be the bees knees if it turns out to be true.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom