Keeping Warm... How many layers do you wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hilaryeroberts

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I think unlike the men I dive with, I seem to always be cold, regardless of the water temp. I dive in fresh water, so around 22/23 degrees C. I usually wear a full 7mm with a shortie over top. Towards the end of August, I'll wear a 5mm AS WELL underneath that but it's hard to move in it! Are there such things as 1mm wet suits, more like a skin? If so, where would I find it. I've looked, but most are just skins that are too thin, with no warmth.

I look at THIS stuff at the Tacoma Expo, and found it intriguing, but I know of no one who has tried it.

Leejnd just posted about trying a heated wetsuit vest, which she is going to continue to play with.

Me, I gave up and dive dry.

I can't imagine layering anything with a 7mm. The lack of mobility would just be awful.

I've heard of people using 7mm farmer john/jane style suits, which would result in 14mm around the core. Some local divers here in California use chemical wetsuit heaters that look like kidney belts.

Honestly, though, I wasted enough time, money, and effort trying to stay warm while diving wet and eventually also just "gave up and went dry." I've never looked back--it really is such a superior solution to the warmth problem.

We start all our OW students in wetsuits, and they wear a 7 mm full suit and a 7 mm core warmer with an integrated hood. It DOES impede mobility, and takes a lot of weight to sink!

That is over 70 degrees Fahrenheit!!! I think you are either going to have to go dry or move south.

I think I'm going to learn to dive dry. Thank you!!!!

Yea, if your that cold at those temps, going dry will probably be the easiest for you to do. I dove (dived, it's dived not dove right?) with a 7mm and 3mm hooded vest in california during the winter months, and if I ever moved to an area with water temps that cold or colder again, I'm going dry with no hesitation. It's not worth the hassle for a lot....ofcourse....I LOVE to pee in my wetsuit. :D

Are you layering suits that are meant to be layered together? I dove on the weekend, our divers in rentals had 7mm bare artic suits (male & female) and some other divers on board we didn't know had a mix of suits that clearly weren't working. 7mm fulls with 2/3 shorties, 5mm short gloves and drysuit hoods and 4mm booties. The woman wearing this couldn't even hold a cup of hot chocolate post 20 min dive. If you are wearing wetsuits in layers that was designed to be worn together they will work (better) This was in 9C water. That said seeing that woman in that hodge podge of thermal protection you couldn't have paid me to dive in that. Drysuit Only. Our training pool is 84F and I wear a 3mm full and I find that a tad too cool.

I agree with TSandM perhaps dry is something you should consider. here are some very nice neoprene drysuits well priced (I dive scubapro Everdry 4 retails 1100) and I wear thermals and leggins underneath no special undergarments. However, I have tried the heaters...the ones that work like chemical reactions. They look like little inflatable rafts that you can wear across your chest and there is a small quarter sized "clicker" that you use to activate but then you have to hurry up zip in and get in the water and dont wear without a rash guard they get HOT next to your skin. these are good for about 20 mins of the dive then they are done and you have to boil in water to reset.
Phew...long winded. Think dry.
Apollo Makes a nice drysuit with ankle valves...great for new drysuit divers.

I would switch to a drysuit - I don't think it is wise to be totally shivering on your surface interval, only to get a second dive in and be even colder. I used to do the 7 mm + vest - wear a ton of weigth (cause you can't get down), but now I have a DUI and LOVE IT! I bought Fourth Element thick long underwear too and I barely think about being cold in 46 degree water. Even when the temp goes up to the mid to high 60's or 70's you can just wear lighter long underwear. It doesn't even bother me when it is a hot air temp - it is well worth the money you put into it - YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT BEING COLD! Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom