Kelvin Grove - @$$hole Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is the beef for all that don't know what's going on:

Kevin Grove is in a affluent part of the Greater Vancouver area.

The people that live in the area complain about people peeing in the parking lot (in plain sight), changing in and out of their gear, naked (in plain) sight.

They tried, and succeeded, in making a bylaw "banning" scuba diving.

We ignored the bylaw (it's still a free country), but realized that we'd better clean up our act (at least not piss off the locals).

I was there on the day and question and was diving with Dale. I didn't see the offense in question.

The issue is that if a local had seen this then that could have triggered a new round of 'ban the divers', but none did, to my knowledge. There is a toilet nearby, but I'm not 100% certain of the circumstances. Sometime when you gotta go, you gotta go.

So, to sum up for those not familiar with Kelvin Grove, it's like this:

If we piss in plain sight, the locals will ban us from diving. If you, due to circumstances, can't make it to the toilet, be discreet. It's simple. Normally I don't many people care if you pee, well, where ever, but because of the sensitive nature of the relationship between the locals and the divers we are cautious not to just piss anywhere. I'm pretty sure after this thread that there won't be much more of that anymore. This has gone from the locals complaining about the divers to the diver complaining about the divers. Pretty sure that enough has now been said on this matter.

Let's move on and dive.

FYI I just found out that a friend of mine lives in Lions Bay, he has suggested that it is only a few of the locals that are pushing the no diving thing and that most of them have no issue at all with diving/divers. The bigger concern is party's and drinking. Off topic a bit I know but we don't want people thinking that ALL the Lions Bay locals are old retired farts!!

Off topic, but; the title of this thread is a good name for a punk band. Kinda like
Butthole Surfers.

Back
Top Bottom