Kelvin Grove - @$$hole Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What a big deal you are making out of it, people :)

To put it in terms you might understand elan because it is local to us.....imagine the fuss that would be raised if a diver was caught peeing out in "the relative open space" at Big Bay Point. That site is already close to becoming off limits due to local outrage so one or two of those incidents might just push it over the edge.

You may not think it is a big deal as I do not, BUT when one of the relative few dive sites is compromised because of it then I start to take exception and say hide yourself better. I think this post has gone over the top because of the tone of the posts including the OP, but in principal it is something that we should all consider.

The OP indicated he knew the identity of the subject in the first post. Why not simply send a PM directly to protest? I have been on this board long enough to know DaleC is a good man. This public riducle is totally unnecessarry IMO....:shakehead:

To put it in terms you might understand elan because it is local to us.....imagine the fuss that would be raised if a diver was caught peeing out in "the relative open space" at Big Bay Point. That site is already close to becoming off limits due to local outrage so one or two of those incidents might just push it over the edge.

You may not think it is a big deal as I do not, BUT when one of the relative few dive sites is compromised because of it then I start to take exception and say hide yourself better. I think this post has gone over the top because of the tone of the posts including the OP, but in principal it is something that we should all consider.

Well yeah I understand that it's a great excuse for locals to limit the activity, though I think OP went way over the roof emotion wise :)

Well yeah I understand that it's a great excuse for locals to limit the activity, though I think OP went way over the roof emotion wise :)

I am completely on board with that evaluation :wink:

JFS,

At your house do you piss in the hallway beside your bathroom, or do you actually walk the 5 steps into the can?

When we used to live in the countryside and had all the conveniences outside in a small toilet booth standing away from the house I quite often found myself tying up the horses outside of the booth 2 meters away from it. It's so much nicer to look an the stars rather than at the wooden walls :D

Thanks Val, I'm not so worried about public ridicule as I have a pretty tough skin and I think the lessons learned are good ones. My concern is more to do with how we treat each other here on SB.

Sunday, after my dive, I read the OP's initial post and several of the following posts and felt I should nip things in the bud quickly. I thought I was alone at Kelvin that morning but as I was hauling gear down to the beach I realised another team was there first. Those familiar with the locale will know that if one goes to the cul de sac first it is possible to miss cars parked in the upper lot. I thought Rutger was one of those two divers and had somehow seen me from the beach. Since then one of those two divers has PM'd me (he wishes to remain anonymous and not participate in the thread and I respect this) to say that this was not so. He also indicated he did not see a woman walking a dog either. If it weren't for that one accusation I would not say anything and let it go. I know the next 5 divers who arrived. That being the case I am curious what day/time Rutger arrived to be able to see me.

I agree that in the scheme of things this is more a tempest in a teapot than anything else but I would like to know if in fact Rutger did see me or if he was content to let it appear it was me and further suggest that a woman walking a dog saw me also. The answer will not change the fact that I should be more vigilant at KG but it might be of interest in a thread titled Kelvin Grove-@$$HOLE DIVER.

A little background for those of you who don't know the situation at Kelvin Grove. This summer the village council in Lions Bay passed a by-law prohibiting diving at KG except by residents and their guests. When council was questioned as to why they would pass such a by-law they cited several reasons and a chief among them was that residents had complained about divers urinating in public. There was quite a kerfuffle over the whole thing, and even a couple of television news stories and newspaper articles were written. The bylaw still stands though the village has not been enforcing it. There has been some suggestion that the council is still seeking a more effective way to ban diving at KG. The issue is well known throughout the the local dive community, and EXTREMELY well known by those who frequent the Western Canada forum on SB.

For a diver who frequents this forum to be seen peeing in the bushes at KG is simply unacceptable, and they should be called out and humiliated. There are few things more motivating than being shamed by your peers.

I applaud Dale for stepping up and taking the heat. Thankfully he wasn't peeing, and we have all learned that standing in the bushes adjusting your pee valve will almost certainly be perceived as public urination by passers by.

I see there is some question if Dale was the the person Rutger witnessed, hopefully that will be sorted out soon.

In the interest of disclosure, I am not bothered by discrete public urination and have peed in the bushes many times. I don't think just anywhere is an acceptable place to pee, and I did holler at and chase off a guy peeing on my neighbors fence this summer. 20m from an open public bathroom in an area where residents are known to be sensitive about public urination is NOT an appropriate place to pee in the bushes, even when you are "sure" no one can see you.

Well to me it sounds like the people in K.G don't have any
entertainment in their town except watching the divers wizz
and or changing. .

I mean come on where did the human race do it before there
were any thing such as toilets or changing facilities? ?

I have to addmit that i wizzed a few times after the boat
landed on shore, ran 200meters over a dune and an the bush
and went back and just before the dive i went and wizzed in the
change room, but there were no way that i would have been
able too keep my wizz and wait 5min to get back to the charter
and go wizz and i am not wizzing in my wet suit. . Beach full off
divers and people and they know where i am heading for,but no
complain. .

Live to dive and Dive to live. . . . :burnout:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Off topic posts deleted.
Please report any that I might have missed.
One user has been banned from the thread for hijacking.

some one pissed in a bush? Oh noes!!!!!1!!!

some of you need to switch to decaf.

Back
Top Bottom