Kelvin Grove Officially Off Limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, as I was trying to express earlier, I don't think the Land Title Act is an issue here. I doubt they are trying to restrict people's access to the water. That would be illegal. I think it's just the resident's trying to keep non-residents out by limiting what you can do in two of their parks.

I doubt they are trying to restrict people's access to the water. That would be illegal. I think it's just the resident's trying to keep non-residents out by limiting what you can do in two of their parks.
Page 5, part 9.1 of the by-law states that no one can operate a boat "or other water borne contrivance or thing propelled by a motor" within 200m of any park or beach.

If the by-law officer would like to swim out to present me with the ticket, he's welcome to do so.

Tht's pretty common for safety reasons off parks where there might be swimmers. Some of the off-limits areas are buoyed and some are marked on the marine chart. I don't know who would inforce it though (Transport Canada?).

Wow, it seems that the good folks of Lions Bay are becoming quite the eliteists. I just came across this story on CBC:
Hikers, residents clash over Lions Bay trail closing

Now they are aggressively harassing hikers who tread into their 'hood as well. Granted, there's a forest fire risk but they could at least say "please"!

just park you dive gear hauling vehicle down there wherever you want, but put a sticker like "emergency medical oxygen onboard" and just wait for them to tow it

then it's on

really give em a scare and have a combination of nitrox and the argon: do not breathe stickers. Haz Mat team won't even allow the residents within 2 blocks. that'll teach em.

all joking aside, it would sure be nice to know why they are discriminating against the dive community outside of the village residents and visitors that are allowed to dive this site.

all joking aside, it would sure be nice to know why they are discriminating against the dive community outside of the village residents and visitors that are allowed to dive this site.

Ethnocentrism. They don't want the great unwashed masses hanging around their neighbourhood.

Correct me if I am wrong.

The purpose of SCUBA is to breath underwater, correct?

The definition of diving is "to plunge into water intentionally and especially headfirst; also : to execute a dive b : submerge <the submarine dived>"

The village has no authority concerning the activities in the ocean, this is a Federal Government power unless delegated by the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans. A good example is False Creek and the squatter boats.

Given the only purpose of SCUBA is to be used in the water and the definition of diving, as long as you don't "scuba dive" on dry land, the village cannot do anything to stop you.

If they wrote the bylaw to prevent a person from bringing SCUBA equipment into the park or having it in your possession on dry land, then this would stop you from diving in the ocean, however currently the bylaw is flawed.

I guess if you wanted to have some fun, drop a bunch of dive flags by the boat launch and video all the suckers who get too close to the flag = fine$

Last edited:
Friend of mine learned an important lesson this weekend. Local bylaws can get you fined, even if the federal open water acts would appear to trump the local bylaws.. You're welcome to sue about it, but the police are still there to enforce the bylaws (not interpret them) and they'll still fine you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom