Key Largo - Looking for Seasoned diver thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jringold

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey -

I just booked my wife and I for three days of diving with Rainbow Reef in Key Largo - very excited. Here is our schedule - anyone done these and have any advice of what to look out for, things to do in Key Largo when not diving, whatever else....

Sunday Morning
Boat: Tropical Legend
Benwood Wreck (55ft)
French Reef (15-25 ft)

Monday Morning
Boat: Tropical Odyssey
Wreck: USCGC Duane (95ft to 130ft)
Molasses Reef (15ft to 40 ft)

Tuesday Morning
Boat: Tropical Odyssey
Wreck: Spiegel Grove (80ft to 130ft)
Captains Choice shallow reef (will be shallow)

We were down there last month. Very windy conditions kept the boats in port several days. Did some reef diving with Conch Republic. Went out with Rainbow Reef on a rough day. Did one dive on the Speigel- 4-6 waves, mild current , 78 degree water, vis about 20'. Fun but I was disappointed with the conditions. Nice operation though. Second dive on the Benwood was better. Calmer seas and 50' vis. Lots of fish. Food--The Fish House, Snappers and Hobos Cafe. Excellent sea food at all. Have fun! I'm heading to Turks and Caicos at the end of May, can't wait.

These are all great dives. Two weeks ago, I was first in the water on the French Reef and dropped right on top of a reef shark. It was pretty cool, I haven't checked my videos yet but hoping they came out OK. French is one of my favorite reefs, there's lots of relief and lots of places for critters to hide.

If you've never dove the deep wrecks, take the guide service, they'll show you things that you'd miss on your own. Pay the extra for nitrox and make sure your dive group are all on nitrox or you will end up with a disappointing and short dive.

For the shallow reefs and the Bentwood, you don't really need a guide, but if you've never been to the sites may be worth tagging along. I find going guide - less to be far more relaxing on the shallow sites since I can proceed at my own slow pace (I actually don't use a guide on the deep sites either). If I see something interesting, I can stop and watch it for 5 minutes if I want: can't do that with a guide.

Enjoy your trip; you have a good itinerary

Last edited:
If you get washed out of diving due to weather, checkout the History of Diving Museum. In KL, I like The Fish House for dinner: it's touristy, but the food is good. If you're not picky on the food but want a good setting, eat outside at Marker 88 right near sunset. Watching the sunset over the bay is incredible, especially if you sit in one of the glider swings. The fish is good but the rest of the menu is only OK. I'm also partial to the bar that is across the canal from Rainbow Reef: the bar is right next to Ocean Diver's boats (can't recall the name) but they usually have a good fish special and they serve some nice microbrews too

Last edited:
All are iconic Key Largo dive sites. You'll have a great time.

As for what else to do, yeah, as others have said, eating and drinking. Also, the History of Diving Museum in Islamorada.

edit: beat me to it by a few seconds!

My wife and I were there a couple years ago and dove with Rainbow Reef. Excellent operation. The dives that stand out for me were the Spiegel Grove and our first of two dives on the Benwood. The Benwood wreck itself isn't much to speak of, but the fish life was fantastic on our first dive (and still pretty nice on our second).

If you haven't booked a hotel yet, consider the Holiday Inn Key Largo. It's right next to where the RR boats depart, and we really enjoyed the convenience of just walking over after breakfast each morning.

We weren't able to find much in the way of gourmet cuisine in KL, but the fish restaurant we ended up at a couple nights was good. I forget the name right now, but it was fairly well known and east down the highway a couple miles (maybe it was The Fish House referenced above?).

Enjoy your trip!

James

dropped right on top of a reef shark. It was pretty cool, I haven't checked my videos yet

WHAT??? I'd be going nuts...I can't wait that long to check out dive videos. I HAVE to check them daily :):):)

Another great top side option would be Garl's Coastal Kayaking. He's located in Key Largo and does tours in the Everglades. Lots of great wild life and scenery.

Was there last week, but kept to the shallow reefs for all dives as we had our newly certified daughter with us. RR runs a fantastic operation! We had a guide assigned to us as a group of 3 for two days and we're in a group of 6 on another. I have never used a guide/dm before, and have no regrets.

As to food, Snooks, Island Grill, Snappers, and the Pilot House served up good food.

Kill some time and go to Robbie's/The Hungry Tarpon.

Have fun. We really did!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom