Key Largo - Looking for Seasoned diver thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just booked my wife and I for three days of diving with Rainbow Reef in Key Largo

All I can add is you're one lucky guy! Those are my three favorite dives in Key Largo. The Benwood is a super way to start your diving. There's always so much to see, and it's a very relaxing dive.

The Duane is surreal. There's something about that wreck...I'm always so impressed looking down as we descend the line. Be sure to look all around as there are usually things to see cruising around in the distance.

The Spiegel Grove is the most impressive wreck I've ever seen. She's huge! We first started diving with Rainbow Reef in 2004. We did our PADI Advanced Certification with them at that time and had the opportunity to dive the Spiegel Grove when she was still lying on her side. Quite an interesting story - when they first sunk her in 2002, she rolled over and landed on her side. In July of 2005, Hurricane Dennis came along and actually turned her right side up...amazing :yeahbaby: So we have been blessed with the opportunity to dive her from both perspectives. Although I much prefer the upright position in which she now sits, it's kinda cool to remember "way back when"!

That was 13 years ago. We're still diving Key Largo every chance we get, and we're still loyal Rainbow Reef Dive Center customers. You will have a GREAT time! Please tell them all hello from the Cajuns:) Hope you will come back and give us a trip report when you're done...

Dive schedule looks good, you are covered - especially if you like wrecks. +1 for the Fish House - tad pricey but well worth it IMHO.

Shipwrecks. super casual
Sharkeys...Baja fish tacos recommended

I liked Davis Ledge for the critters

I'm not sure if I'm well seasoned or simply marinated??? :D Rainbow Reef is an awesome outfit, and the Benwood is my favorite Dive here in the keys. Be sure to bring a LIGHT, even in the day and check out all the holes, especially under the port bow. SLOW is always best, but it's even more so here. Don't get me wrong, as the others are cool as well, but there's something magic about the Benwood. See if you can do a night dive on it. Way awesome.

As for eating, forget the Fish House. Too expensive and way crowded (Can you say Tourist Trap??? :D ). Best eats in town is the Bayside Grill (MM101ish South Bound lane Bay Side) and Shipwreck's Bar and Grill (MM107 Ocean Side). For breakfast, my favorite is DJ's Diner (MM101 Ocean Side North Bound lane). If you have to go earlier, then you can't go wrong with Doc's Diner (MM101ish Bay Side). Bayside Grill's specialty is anything "Keyribbean" but we really love their Tuna Tower. Also, they have the most amaing sunsets!!! Shipwreck's Specialty is all you can eat fish Fridays and their beyond awesome Coconut Onion Rings. DJ's Diner has a Tropical pancake that is way awesome.

I'm not a big fan of Sharkey's. Noisy and the food is OK, but not that good.

In addition to the diving museum, check out Wembley Key State Geological Park. They used to quarry coral rock from there and you get to see the fossil rock in cool relief. Bring skeeter repellent and wear a hat.

Best eats in town is the Bayside Grill (MM101ish South Bound lane Bay Side)

Aw Pete! Thanks for reminding me about Bayside Grill - now we have to come back to Key Largo...SOON :acclaim: That was a great evening we spent there with you guys :)

Aw Pete! Thanks for reminding me about Bayside Grill - now we have to come back to Key Largo...SOON :acclaim: That was a great evening we spent there with you guys :)
Cool! When you make it down, you'll have to see the new graphics on Vanessa! Woot! She's purdy!

3WQxEJ3Q9ZZBEv9ex4vDj4WnqGT87BWkbZJBqrOchw1_c_SRnFJgaNhAKxx4ibWnZ2Mc4PFhrLuTWasPRi=w1225-h919-no.jpg

we had our newly certified daughter with us

Congrats on your daughter's certification! It looks like she inherited the family addiction???

Some other recommendations for eating in the Keys:

• Chad's Deli MM92 Bay Side. Their Shrimp & Corn Chowder is as good as it is filling. Don't forget their Cookies. One is too many! :D
  • MEAT Eatery and Taproom MM88 Ocean Side Tired of Seafood, Seafood, Seafood? These guys have the best burgers in Florida. Try their Nancy Pants with their Mango Ketchup and have an adult float while you're at it. Yum!
  • Island Grill MM85 Ocean Side. Lots of fish and well cooked!
  • Lorelie Restaurant and Cabana Bar MM82 Bay SIde. Awesome Sunsets, on the beach dining. A bit expensive, but the view is awesome.
  • Wahoo's Bar and Grill MM83 Ocean Side in the Whale Harbor (soon to be opened) Marina. Great shrimp and crab legs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom