Key Largo recommendations wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many people are going? We take a group of six each year. I enjoy renting a boat (this year we used tropical boat rentals and they had the best fleet we have used yet). We typically dive 5-6 dives a day. Generally we use Ocean divers for tank rentals because they are on the water on Port Largo Canal. The dive sites are close enough that you can just rent tanks for 2 dives, run back into shore, exchange tanks, and do it all again. This kind of trip is not for everyone, but I feel you get more for your money. Not to mention, you get to do what you want, when you want. If you want more information about renting boats, dive locations, etc. Let me know. One word of caution, if you pull up to any of of the dive locations that the tie-in buoys are submerged or partly submerged, find another location. The current will be extremely strong.

I'm the only diver on this trip to the Keys, so I will likely need a DM or need to be paired up. I will only have time for one 2-tank trip.

Thanks for all of the recommendations.

How is the water temp in February? I may have a couple of days in between work and was thinking of heading to Key Largo. How thick of a wet suit? 3mil, 5 mil.....etc...

Thanks

Water in February is cold. 5 mil and boots minimum. Hood and gloves if you get cold easy.

I STRONGLY suggest Quiessence if you want small boats. All the other places will pack on more divers, some (like Horizon) are cattle boats. Quiessence ONLY runs six pacs, and you can request a DM/guide.

Water in February is cold. 5 mil and boots minimum. Hood and gloves if you get cold easy.

I STRONGLY suggest Quiessence if you want small boats. All the other places will pack on more divers, some (like Horizon) are cattle boats. Quiessence ONLY runs six pacs, and you can request a DM/guide.

+1 on Quiessence. I have always had great trips with them.

I actually had a not so pleasant trip with Quiessence last July. Took us to very shallow ~20 ft sites, poor marine life, and wasn't very helpful with the divers that were there. No DM/Guide was offered. The whole experience was a little too simplified. We had 4 divers with us and no one enjoyed the experience. While I like a smaller atmosphere on a dive trip, this was more like abandonment. I would not recommend them.

I actually had a not so pleasant trip with Quiessence last July. Took us to very shallow ~20 ft sites, poor marine life, and wasn't very helpful with the divers that were there. No DM/Guide was offered. The whole experience was a little too simplified. We had 4 divers with us and no one enjoyed the experience. While I like a smaller atmosphere on a dive trip, this was more like abandonment. I would not recommend them.

They took us where we asked them to - the Duane, the Bibb, the Spiegel Grove. They even summoned more spotted eagle rays than we could count for a dive at molasses reef in 2010. Haven't been out with anybody else in Key Largo since and go once a year.

[video=youtube;WFHetBHOeAU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFHetBHOeAU&sns=em[/video]

I'm used to North Carolina diving so I wasn't expecting somebody to hold our hands or babysit, but they probably would have if asked. I'm also not a fan of cattle boats, but to each there own.

They took us where we asked them to - the Duane, the Bibb, the Spiegel Grove. They even summoned more spotted eagle rays than we could count for a dive at molasses reef in 2010. Haven't been out with anybody else in Key Largo since and go once a year.

[video=youtube;WFHetBHOeAU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFHetBHOeAU&sns=em[/video]

I'm used to North Carolina diving so I wasn't expecting somebody to hold our hands or babysit, but they probably would have if asked. I'm also not a fan of cattle boats, but to each there own.

I hear you. And we weren't looking for anyone to hold our hands, but the entire process seemed like a "get them in get them out" kind of thing. No direction. No one else in the water. We survived the dive and enjoyed the time in the water. Just the experience was not very interactive. I did do a dive with Ocean Divers that was much better. A few DMs in the water. People could focus on pictures, videos, etc. And they were more interactive with us. I'm certainly not an expert on diving in the Keys, just that the experience with Quiessence wasn't what I had expected.

Back
Top Bottom