Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The two owners who told me were both on the "A" list at the time they told me (the former owner of Ocean Quest when it was at Plantation Yacht Harbor Resort and Tom and Cynthia when they owned CRD). The operator that actively solicited feedback was Lady Cyana.

Additionally, Scuba Diving magazine has new ownership since that time so maybe it has become a more level playing field.

I'll also point out CRD enjoys great ratings in both places.

Brian,

Thanks for the followup post. Yea those operators haven't been around here for over 5 years. Actually Tommy and Cynthia sold CRD to Art Bowling in 1999 and Lady Cyana went out of business in 2002, just before we arrived in 2003.

Things around here, in my opinion, are on a much leveler playing field than they use to be. And we hope that the ratings are reflecting more the actually numbers than ones which were bought or inflated in the past.

Good Diving/Hunting,

The two owners who told me were both on the "A" list at the time they told me (the former owner of Ocean Quest when it was at Plantation Yacht Harbor Resort and Tom and Cynthia when they owned CRD). The operator that actively solicited feedback was Lady Cyana.

Additionally, Scuba Diving magazine has new ownership since that time so maybe it has become a more level playing field.

I'll also point out CRD enjoys great ratings in both places.
That's good to know... I work in the same office as Cynthia, here in Atlanta. So, I'll be sure to ask her about her take on this.

I have dove with Horizon, Ocean Divers and Rainbow. I had significant problems with Rainbow when they had the operation in Islamorada. We went out on a six pack boat from the Chesapeke resort. Both of the tanks they provided had less than 2000psi, one was 1435psi according to my log book. They have a DM in the water at all times, and I asked if he would trade one of my tanks for one of his as I assumed his consumption was lower than mine. He refused saying he needed the extra air in case of emergancy. There was a cute girl from new your and a guy that came with her as a "friend" the young dive master was too busy flirting with her to care about my lack of air supply (it was shallow reefs, but it did shorten my dive). I hit the water first and waited like 5 mins for everone else to hop in, once they were down, we started off, the younf DM finned me in the face and I lost my mask. I found it after a short search, but they left me behind. We were shallow so I finished my shortened dive. I obviously came up before everyone else. The DM and the Captain were uninterested in my shortened tanks or the fact that I was forced in to a solo dive. On the second dive, I just quitly prepared my gear, when the pool was open I hoped in and dove solo again as I felt that I had no buddy and If I needed assistance, the DM would probably not notice.

I own a business, and I know it is possible to have a single bad experience. I was planning on going out again, but when I asked the Captain where we might go, he said "you will know when you get the dive briefing". I did not dive with them that afternoon, next morining I drove to Largo and dove with Horizon.

I dive with Horizon and Ocean divers. Horrizon usually leaves at 9 am so if I am leaving that day, I usually dive ocean divers as they leave an hour earlier and get back sooner. Both oporators are top notch. This past weekend, I took the Speigel Grove Research course through Horrizon, but Saturday morning our intructor from Horrizon, my buddy and I rode with Ocean Divers to the grove. There were not enogh divers for Horrizon to go out, so the worked cooperatively. The ocean diver crew and horrizon diver instructor were obviously very friendly and I have a lot of respect when businesses in compettion can work together like that. Both Horrizon and Ocean Divers are fantastic. What I have done in the past is dive ocean divers in the AM, and Horrizon in the PM, because of the different start times, you have a little more time between dives to catch a bite to eat and relax.

I am sure there are other great oporators in the keys, I do not think they would survive long in such a competitive environment (Rainbow's Islamorada location is now closed), but you can not go wrong with Horizon or Ocean. One more thing, if the seas are rough, the Ocean Divers boat is a little drier, but the Checca View from Horrizon has Capri Sun to drink between dives.

I just returned from a trip to The Keys. I've been diving The Keys from one end to the other since 1994. I heartily recommend Conch Republic and Bluewater Divers. This trip I dived with five operators. Brent is just across the parking lot from you at Holiday Inn. Once you get out onto Hwy 1 southbound Gary and Brenda are only a few minutes down the road.

You can't miss.

DC

And its a 3-hour tour... a 3-hour tour.
Actually, pretty close - Jeff leaves at +/- 7:30 AM and gets to the sites among the first (every time I've done the wrecks, we were first on and got the best spot)

Back at 11:15/11:30

He is really an excellent operator; only issue can be the boat is 26' - but then, I hate cattle boats and I don't get sea sick

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom