Key West Dive Operator Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Mike and Sam. I had always heard that Key West diving wasn't anywhere close to the middle and upper keys...you both just confirmed that. I think we'll dive the upper keys (for her) and spend some "other" time in Key West. :)

You must do the Vandenberg if you're going to Key West, she's a great wreck.

You must do the Vandenberg if you're going to Key West, she's a great wreck.

Oh yeah, baby! I definitely want to...I would have to go with an insta-buddy since my wife won't do it. I've dove the Spiegel Grove and other wrecks and LOVED them. The Vandenberg is on my list!

Oh yeah, baby! I definitely want to...I would have to go with an insta-buddy since my wife won't do it. I've dove the Spiegel Grove and other wrecks and LOVED them. The Vandenberg is on my list!

Dove it six times and still wanna go back. It's is sooooo big and so much to see, those satellite dishes are massive! :D

You won't need an insta-buddy, post in SB and I'm sure you'll get a buddy. Post in MoF or Florida Conch Forum.

I have to agree, the diving in Key West is not up to par with the upper keys. I would not be diving there if we were not going to be in town for a couple of days anyway.

But again, any recommendations on operators would be appreciated.

You can head north about 25 miles to Looe Key Divers (on Ramrod Key). They do 3 tank trips out to Looe Key reef for what most are charging for 2 tanks. Looe key reef IMO is a big a step up from the KW reefs. We had a great time there with lots of critters big and small. I really like there boat setup as well.

If you want to stick to KW, check out you can check out Bonsai Divers. They run a 6-pack there. We have had nothing but good experiences with them.

Come dive with us at Subtropic! We'll take good care of ya :) Plus, we don't babysit you or make you show us countless pages of logbooks. If you're Advanced certified or beyond, you get to do what you want. If you're Open Water, we need you to hire a DM as a guide (which is cool anyway because the DM's know the Vandenberg very well and will take you on a good tour).
Ok, i'm done sounding like a commercial now. At any rate, come by and say hi when you're in Key West! :D

My buddy and I are planning to dive Key West as well. We will be out there the week after next. I appreciate the information about the KW reefs. We are just OW certified, but the Vandenberg sounds like a great dive to keep in mind. Any other suggestions are always appreciated.

I have heard about the Dry Tortugas for a long time living in Florida. Has anyone made the trip? Can you still dive there and is it worth it?

My buddy and I are planning to dive Key West as well. We will be out there the week after next. I appreciate the information about the KW reefs.

simply put, they suck.

if you want to dive reefs, go elsewhere in the keys and they are 10 times better.

If you want to dive Key West, book trips for the Vandenberg trips. It's only about 40 to 45 feet I think to the top of that wreck. easily doable by OW only certs.

I have heard about the Dry Tortugas for a long time living in Florida. Has anyone made the trip? Can you still dive there and is it worth it?

The Dry Tortugas are awesome. Some of the best reefs around.
Yes you can still dive there. In my opinion it's worth it.

about the only way to get there is via a liveaboard dive trip. there are several options to choose from.

I have done a live aboard to the Tortugas and it was fantastic. I would highly recommend it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom