Key West - End of May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigtexdog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Experienced (15 years) open water diver headed to Key West at the end of May with the wife for a long werekend. Looking for a good dive op and suggested sites. Planning to hit Looe Key for a three-tanker one day. Trying to get max bottom time while enjoying the local flavor. So, I'm looking for restaurant/bar suggestions, too.

Muchos gracias.

Bubble, bubble.

- BTD

I dove with southpoint and captains corner and enjoyed both ops. Southpoint was a little freaked out when a tech diver shows up but that's their issues not mine. CC respected your level and let you do your dives as you see fit. Both had well equipped boats and safe captains/staff. PM me with any questions....

Dive sites: the vandenburgh. It's a must in key west.

Bars and restaurants: I suggest you book a pub crawl for you and any other people of age. They take you to six bars and you get a free drink at each one. They also give a bit of history of the area

I recommend red fish blue fish, the rum barrel, for restaurants

For bars sloppy joes usually has a great band as does Irish kevins. If you are looking to mello out a bit I would go to schooners wharf

I lived and dove in KW for 13 years. I was a dive instructor for the college there. I am now an ICU nurse living in Lubbock Tx. I am planning a trip to my beloved, crazy little island at the end of May as well. As my plans firm up maybe I will send you a private message, but in the mean time here are a couple of my reccomendations.

I always preferred Lost Reef Adventures, 305-296-9737, Located on Margeret St, across from Half Shell Raw Bar. The Boat, "Dream", is docked right there as well. Dream is an older, but dependable boat with a platform at water level, making for an easy giant stride. You can expect competative pricing. They are rated for 16 divers, but rarely carry that many.

Captains Corner is is another favorite,305-296-8918, located at the corner of Green and Elizabeth, by the Conch Republic Seafood Company. Their Boat, The Sea Eagle, Is larger and the deck is about 5ft above the surface. Some find the giant stide a little intimadating. They tend to be about the least expensive and are some times crowded.

Seaduction Dive Shop has opened in the past couple of weeks and so I have yet to dive with them, but it is managed by Chris Norwood, who has been in the business in KW for many years and runs a safe opporation.

For any of these shops feel free to use my name (Bob Guhl), it may even get you a free trip back to the dock after you dive.

Definatly plan on doing the Vandy.

Have fun.
Safe dives
Trtldvr

saf

Going to be in Key West myself in May. Have been there many times. Conch Republic Seafood Co is very good...try the Callalloo dip. Seafood, but also great burgers, steaks, etc., for those (my wife) who don't like seafood. They usually have music during happy hour (4:00 PM). Hogs Breath is my favorite bar, but that's just a personal thing. Mallory Square for the sunset celebration is fun. Good live music just about everywhere. Have a great time, one of my favorite places!

Schoooner Wharf bar for people watching. Sunset Pier at, .... sunset...
If you have not booked accomdation, call and see if anything is open at Merlin's GuestHouse on Simonton Street.
Cafe Pepe, dollar beer and great burgers.
What othesr said, do the "Duval Crawl" at least once... just pace yourself.
Vist Kino Sandals.
I would do my diving up around Key Largo...unless you can go over to Fort Jefferson on a night dive.
have fun, great place to visit.. I won't live there again.
M.

For bars sloppy joes usually has a great band as does Irish kevins. If you are looking to mello out a bit I would go to schooners wharf

Also consider "sound check" at the Green Parott. It's mostly a locals thing, but very cool. A pre dinner and free experience with the bands playing that night. I'm on my I phone, but you might try a google.

Ok. Just googled green parrot sound check. There is a schedule for sound checks. They are at 5:30 and the scheduled performances are at 10.00.

We were down in KW last April for the first time. Dove one day with Southpoint and another with Lost Reef. Both were fine. Highlight of the trip though was afternoon seaplane flight to Ft. Jefferson. Great trip. Would consider it. There is a website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom