Key West Ops to Avoid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4-6 is bad? When I was in Monterrey that was considered nice. I have been in the Keys when they were running like that. Didn't have an issue myself but some did. You need to know your limits. Plus it's the freaking ocean for chrissakes. If you don't want waves stay in the pool. Even lakes get waves. Erie has some 30 footers on record. Superior? try 90 ft waves. So when the wind kicks up 4-6 is entirely possible. We've had whitecaps in the quarry when a front is moving in.:D

4-6 is bad? When I was in Monterrey that was considered nice. I have been in the Keys when they were running like that. Didn't have an issue myself but some did. You need to know your limits. Plus it's the freaking ocean for chrissakes. If you don't want waves stay in the pool. Even lakes get waves. Erie has some 30 footers on record. Superior? try 90 ft waves. So when the wind kicks up 4-6 is entirely possible. We've had whitecaps in the quarry when a front is moving in.:D

Getting out and then back into the inlet is often the limiting factor. The inlet in Boynton Beach, FL can be tricky

It is also a question of how big a boat you go out on.
the 32' Wellcraft Coastal that is my usual six pack,
gets very uncomfortable in anything past 4' seas.
A gigantic cattle boat can obviously handle a lot when it weighs 35 tons, and seats 42 divers and their gear.

Chug
wondering why Captains Corner is now a "six pack"?

Last edited:
It is also a question of how big a boat you go out on.
the 32' Weelcraft Coastal that is my usual six pack,
gets very uncomfortable in anything past 4' seas.
A gigantic cattle boat can obviously handle a lot when it weighs 35 tons, and seats 42 divers and their gear.

Chug
wondering why Captains Corner is now a "six pack"?
Rumor in Key West is they paid for a very expensive survey that trumped the Coast Guard, and they are no longer a 6 pack.

I'm not a fan of Captain's Corner. But do yourself a favor and follow whatever recommendation Wookie makes.

Everyone has different tastes. After Subtropic went out of business a few years ago, Captain's Corner became my go-to dive boat when I'm in KW (which is only once a year at most). The reason I like them is they don't babysit the experienced divers and will let you dive within the limits of your certification: though that might have changed if they're running that big boat as a six pack. But when I dove with them last summer, they let a couple of technical divers do one long deco dive on the Vandy. They let me solo it (I'm certified and had redundant gear). They also let the technical divers and me get in the water first to avoid the less experienced air divers. They explained when they would head back to shore and let me and the other experienced divers plan our dives and SI as long as we were back on the boat at the specified time after the second dive. They had a guide going along with some cruise ship divers. During the SI, the deck hand told funny stories about Key West and diving in KW. For me, it was a near perfect morning of diving. The only draw back being the crappy tank rack, though they let me and the other experienced divers set up our gear and strap it to the railing before we left dock so we could jump in the water first.

So they are really running that big boat as a six pack; that can't be economically feasible for long. That thing is huge.

Everyone has different tastes. After Subtropic went out of business a few years ago, Captain's Corner became my go-to dive boat when I'm in KW (which is only once a year at most). The reason I like them is they don't babysit the experienced divers and will let you dive within the limits of your certification: though that might have changed if they're running that big boat as a six pack. But when I dove with them last summer, they let a couple of technical divers do one long deco dive on the Vandy. They let me solo it (I'm certified and had redundant gear). They also let the technical divers and me get in the water first to avoid the less experienced air divers. They explained when they would head back to shore and let me and the other experienced divers plan our dives and SI as long as we were back on the boat at the specified time after the second dive. They had a guide going along with some cruise ship divers. During the SI, the deck hand told funny stories about Key West and diving in KW. For me, it was a near perfect morning of diving. The only draw back being the crappy tank rack, though they let me and the other experienced divers set up our gear and strap it to the railing before we left dock so we could jump in the water first.

So they are really running that big boat as a six pack; that can't be economically feasible for long. That thing is huge.

Been out with them twice (not really a KW regular myself either) and liked them for the same reasons you did. I've spent so much time on the Palm Beach County ops that I'm used to the operator giving me a fair bit of slack if I know what I'm doing. The tank rack is a mess, but one advantage to the size of the Sea Eagle is that it can get out when the deck is a splash zone. Made it out to the Vandy 4th of July weekend 2013, which was ugly from Palm Beach down to the Keys. I think the only other dive operator I've used there is Dive Key West, which was in 2002 right after my C-card was printed so I can't say I was a qualified reviewer or remember specifics.

Sorry for the silence (bad OP!). Really appreciate everyone's opinions. I think we are going to try Finz, Captain's Corner and Dive Key West in KW for the first three days and then book the rest of the week based on who we enjoy diving with most. I saw one iffy comment about Dive Key West. @Wookie - are they okay? Even if not friendly, will they keep you safe? :) Also, we'll plan to ask about heading out west - I hope the operators are open to that, worth asking.

We'll try Looe Key for sure as well and try to do it on a weekday as others have suggested.

We might be getting in at the tail end of this hurricane, I hope we don't find bad current and viz!! Work with me, Erica! :)

Just a quick note regarding this "Even if not friendly, will they keep you safe?" You should not be expecting any boat to keep you safe. That's your job and that of your buddy. Even if they do offer an array of services, think of the boat as a taxi to the dive site. Nothing more. Then plan accordingly. That way if they are a screw up, no big deal. If they aren't and exceed your expectations leave a bigger tip.

I've done the Vandy a few times with Captains Corner, most recently this past Tuesday. FYI - They have a new Newton 46' now, their old boat is gone.

I've enjoyed every trip I've taken with them. In my book they are a solid operator, as good as any other I've used. I also like how they set up their lines on the wreck, out of all the ops I've used in the Keys they are the only ones I can remember that setup the weighted transverse line and hang a tank from it. I've never had to use the tank and don't expect to, but I like that it's there...

I wouldn't hesitate to use them again, next time I'm in KW I'm sure I will.

Is Captain's Corner still using that insane, 2-page liability form with over 50 bullet points to initial? That was written for them by a lawyer dive buddy of mine, and I'll never forgive him for that.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom